PDA

View Full Version : RR Weight

RW57
09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on running the rr heavy. We have about 80# rr weight car just keeps getting faster the more rr we put in. The car is a 3 link with lr on 20 in swing arm rr spring on top of housing Howe camaro clip on front. The tracks we race on are always dry slick car has so much side and forward bite it will not spin the wheels at all. If you would have told me 30 yrs ago when I raced that this car would work with this ser up I would have told you were crazy.Car is very limited on horse power much like a crate car.

jedclampit
09-07-2012, 08:10 AM
I have definitely done it, although not with those track conditions.
If it works for you do it.....and if it works real good ......you may want to keep it to yourself @ the track!

charcoal01
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I've heard of guys going as high as 200# rr heavy. Think it's a driving style/ track condition sort of thing. Like jed said, if it works for you, do it!

RW57
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Years ago when I was a youngster I worked at a chassis shop with Buddy Morris who I think has a win at Pennsboro in the world dirt championship on his resume any way he used to always stress to me rr holds you getting in lr holds you getting off if you subscribe to that theory here is where it gets confusing to me then adding rr would make car looser getting in because the rr is heavier and is the dominant wheel right , But some people say adding lr bite will free car up getting in ah what a tangled web we weave I guess this proves in racing everything goes by the SWAG METHOD/ SCIENTFIC WILD ASS GUESS LOL just some food for thought but I will tell you this we ain't changing a thing. One more thing about Buddy on many a Monday morning after a race week end he never had a problem telling me what a dumass I was as he was evaluting my performance that weekend LOL.

charcoal01
09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
The heavier rr should tighten you gettin in because the heavy tire gets the most traction, therefore naturally wanting to steer the car right. The weight transfers to the rr anyways, you're just changing how much will transfer during cornering.

RW57
09-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Ok this week in an effort to free car up getting in moved j bar up on pinion down on frame just a little actually 2 in on pinion probably 2 in down on frame BIG MISTAKE car was a hand full super loose lost all side bite spinning off of corners something we had very little problems with before of course track was junk as late models were nearly 2 seconds off of last weeks times car finished with 40 # rr weight . We are going back to j bar where it was and set car with 15 to 20# lr with driver I knew we were in trouble when I saw the track and the lap times you every notice we sometimes out smart our self lol. I think my the driver is maybe gonna have to make a few adjustments to his driving style because I do not think the car can be much better than it was last weekend before I moved the j bar

Matt49
09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Ok this week in an effort to free car up getting in moved j bar up on pinion down on frame just a little actually 2 in on pinion probably 2 in down on frame BIG MISTAKE car was a hand full super loose lost all side bite spinning off of corners something we had very little problems with before of course track was junk as late models were nearly 2 seconds off of last weeks times car finished with 40 # rr weight . We are going back to j bar where it was and set car with 15 to 20# lr with driver I knew we were in trouble when I saw the track and the lap times you every notice we sometimes out smart our self lol. I think my the driver is maybe gonna have to make a few adjustments to his driving style because I do not think the car can be much better than it was last weekend before I moved the j bar

Umm...you took 4 inches or rake out of your j-bar. 1/2 inch is a noticeable change to most drivers. 4 inches is pretty crazy. If you're trying to free the car up, you went the right direction but you probably overshot it by about 3 inches.

RW57
09-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Yea I know I sometimes tend to over do things I had read on a dirt car moving it an inch would make a difference it was a good experience for him as he had been wanting it freed up well old dad did that for him with room to spare lol.

dualdj1
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
yeah probably all you needed was to either go up 1 spot on the pinion, or go *up on both* frame and pinion and keep rake the same.

Egoracing
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
In 03 or 04 we were running a GRT and were running about 10-20lbs of bite. One night we adjusted the car to what it was telling us no matter what it wanted. We ran VERY good and put it on the scales to find it right rear heavy. We called Skip Arp and spoke to him to see if it was something we should look at as something was wrong with the chassis or components and he replied with something like "when you go over 200lbs of RR call me".

RW57
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
That is what I am gonna do put frame back where it was and raise pinion 1 hole above where it was originally . I have never worked with a j bar much so even though I had read an adjustment as small as 1 in would make a difference duma$$$ here went temporally insane LOL. LESSON LEARNED !!!

andy16
09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
i had a warrior i never put more than 40 lbs bite to -20 lbs bite my friends just said thats stupid and stopped asking about my setup lol. if u put 120lb bite in it i couldn drive it. i did it but dont expect the old guys to understand but u gotta give it what it wants?