PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 GRT Modified or Harris Mod

racer96x
09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Looking for some information about these cars. I'm purchasing a new car and have it narrowed down to a Harris or GRT. Looking for some feedback on each. Trying to decide which would be a better decision. The deciding factors will be tech support from the manufacturer and of course driving ease and overall setup. Never raced either before. Thanks for your info everyone

CHRISTINE
09-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Grt by phillips for outlaw
harris or razor for imca is what we been told

powerslide
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
will get a different answer everytime you call GRT.

are you running IMCA or open rules?

LM14
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Had a GRT late model, tech support was awful. It's like you needed the "secret handshake" to get any current information. Once you stumbled onto something they would confirm it but never provided anything up front other than "check our adjustment guide on the web site".

I hear a few guys struggling with new Harris cars, also. Seemed better a year or so ago.

SPark

oldtrackchamp4x
09-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Get a Taylor Chassis. Unbelievable tech support. Got a buddy who texts Jeff Taylor from the track and he gets him dialed in right away. It can be 9 pm Pacific time and Jeff still answers his texts. JMO. And i don't own a Taylor chassis! Jeff won Supernationals.

Renegade Cust Susp
09-07-2012, 11:07 PM
If your looking to go with something a little different than most in your area. Bandit Race cars out of Buffalo, KY builds a great product. Bryan's tech support has been awesome. Have only ran our new car 7 times this year because thats all time has aloud but we have two wins and the worst we have run is a 6th place. He is building chevelle and metric cars.

dirttrackrocker
09-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I see lots of guys at Boone running Rage Chassis and doing well. I agree that GRT tech support is awful. I had one last year, it was a few years old. The impression I got was, if you aren't buying their newest latest greatest, they won't help you.

hotrod4890
09-08-2012, 09:39 AM
GRT builds a really nice car but you are better off buying it thru someone else to get the most help. If I were to buy one it would be thru T.C. Noel or Bill Frye. Both will be very helpful any time you have a question.

Flyin Iowan
09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Give them both a call and get a feel from both partys....never delt with either one but like somone said if u go grt id get a phillips car

charlie11515
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
not the way to go,, i bought a new one last year,, no tech help.. back to running back up car

turner
09-18-2012, 04:42 PM
I know you said you had it narrowed down, but you may want to look into impressive chassis. They are really good quality, and are super fast. The teck support is great as well. Look at Gilpin. Over 32 or 33 features. It will get the job done if you can drive it.Just an idea. Good luck.

racinjj
09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Either one will do just fine, you need to know how to setup your car before you can run up front. A new car wont overcome the short falls of poor setup, I see a lot of guys spend big bucks on new cars and not go any faster. If you are really interested I would be more than happy to help you out with tech support if you buy my car new or used.

blncfn57
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
either one will do just fine, you need to know how to setup your car before you can run up front. A new car wont overcome the short falls of poor setup, i see a lot of guys spend big bucks on new cars and not go any faster.

bingo!!!!!!!!!

Throwin' it in
09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I think someone said it above at looking at what is winning around you. I help a guy with a Harris who has always had a Harris and we get great tech support. But if you are halfway across the country, it is hard for a builder in Iowa to really get out to help you. With that being said, Harris did personally deliver a stock car to Texas this year along with one of their salesman going down for the weekend to get the driver on the right track. Also look at what is winning in your sanctioning body. Your two choices were GRT and Harris. This is not true for all of IMCA country, but if you look at IMCA results, GRT is not doing well in Iowa. But Harris cars really dont do much outside of IMCA except for Strickler down in NC in his UMP stuff. This is probably the case in all parts of the country and sanctioning bodies where certain chassis do the best. We may have a Harris but I am not going to bias my answer to that because that would be foolish.

If you do your research and find that Harris is right for you, we have a 2012 that has about 35-40 nights on it. It won the track championship at the Iowa State Fairgrounds last year as well as the most races at Boone this year. The car was in the top 3 fastest lap times the 2 years it was at Super Nationals. PM me if you are interested.