PDA

View Full Version : looking for some set up advise for a car is wicked loose off the turns.

lake speed
09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
ok I have a fox body mustang that I run on a 3/8 mile fairly high banked track. the current set up is a 750 lf 650 rf 200 lr and 175 rr. I have adjustable spring cups on all 4 corners. the car has monroe struts on the front and monroe shocks on the rear. I run a 3" back space on all 4 wheels. I do not have 3 wheel brakes. I run the car on radial street tires and run 15 lf 15 lr 17 rr and 19 rf. here is the problem the car turns in fine and the middle isnt too bad but the car is VERY loose off. I have tried a 2" back space on the lr but it didnt seem to help much. any ideas?

car62
09-11-2012, 09:50 PM
setup doesnt seem too far "abnormal"...i would probably check for bent balljoint/bottoming out/binding(in all suspension areas)

checkeredflag2006
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
how much heat is your rear tires gaining? check after your heats and features. had to put about 3psi more in left rear help ours out

checkeredflag2006
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
setup is close to what you are running

drtlvr
09-12-2012, 05:33 AM
You probably just need more bite. I would adjust it in the l/r. Has it been on scales?

7uptruckracer
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Look at rear stagger, RR trail and your wheel bases. If its exit on throttle I'd check your stagger first!!! If all your other numbers are ballpark for the track and your mainly exit look there because stagger has an effect everywhere but biggest effect will be seen on exit and being your getting through the middle and entry thats my first guess but it doesn't hurt the check the others to cover your bases to my RR trail will have you chasing the car up the track and wheelbase measurements can let you know you don't have any issues there with bent parts or out of wack settings also check your rear end alignment left to right compared to your front contact patches! Hope this helps!

7uptruckracer
09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't know much about street tires but if its a locked rear end stagger will matter, you could just have a batch that has a different stagger its worth checking!

lake speed
09-12-2012, 11:47 AM
The car had about 80 pounds of bite last time it was scaled which was right before the last race. I only have about 3/4" of stagger in the rear. I am thinking I may need to go up on the rf spring rate? Or add 2 rounds in the spring bucket on the lr? I am going to try to get it back on the scales this week but I am lookIng for advice on how to make changes at the track with a loose off condition.

7uptruckracer
09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Bite will loosen entry and tighten exit but probably not as much as you want for what you would have to add. You could add Rear weight. I would make a change that would only effect your exit and maybe middle if your on the throttle there and that would be your LR spring. go up maybe 25-50 lbs i wouldn't go over a 75 pound split at the time because that would somewhat indicate you might need another change if its still way loose. You could stiffen your RF it could be too soft with a high banking and keeping you from having drive on the LR it would effect you in the other parts of your corner but it might be a package you have to put in based off what one would effect with the other 80 is a pretty good middle of the road depending on your other weights though. If you have no entry issues and can't change any other things like shocks and struts to anything with a split valving try maybe a spring and some bite if you want to take a big wack at it Id go up 50 on LR and X the whole car one turn tighter (Lower LF ride height, Raise RF ride height, Lower RR ride right and Raise LR one turn) it won't effect any corner height much but give you a substantial more amount of bite if you go to far you know you can loosen it back up!!!!!! Let us know!

7uptruckracer
09-12-2012, 12:25 PM
If the LR effects your middle go to your RR and go down on spring 25-50 and put LR back. Check all your corner travels with zip ties on the shaft or if it has indicators from the factory with those. thats the easiest way to see how your cars working together!

drtlvr
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
The car had about 80 pounds of bite last time it was scaled which was right before the last race. I only have about 3/4" of stagger in the rear. I am thinking I may need to go up on the rf spring rate? Or add 2 rounds in the spring bucket on the lr? I am going to try to get it back on the scales this week but I am lookIng for advice on how to make changes at the track with a loose off condition.

If you want something to try at the track just add some bite. Pretty simple to do to see if it's the right way to go.

lake speed
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
thanks for the advice. I will try the lr sping and maybe x the car at the track if the spring doesnt do the trick. I also wanted to add that the issue gets worse later in the race. almost like the rr is just going away? we run on radials so I really cant tell much. I have no experience in a mini stock until this year. I raced late models before I had two kids lol. just wanting to get back to the track but these little cars are much harder to set up than I thought lol!!!

packers5432
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
you try more stagger in the rear

Norton22
09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
check rear stagger stagger is out and wedge works going in too much stagger

7uptruckracer
09-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Hes already at 3/4 rear and his middle is fine so its not a tight loose it seems. Bite effects both entry and exit probably exit more then entry because to use bite on entry you have to turn the car on the LR and depending on the track and how you enter and exit the corner bite and stagger might not show up to much on entry. It is a high banked track he said. That bite and spring will definitely tell him if hes going the right direction. Its high banked so you have to make sure your not to soft on the RF. Please make sure your alignment in the rear is correct! I slicked track needs alot of bite! Maybe ask your competition!

lake speed
09-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I am going to try a few rounds in the rf and lr and see what happens. I dont hardly have ANY stagger so I just cant believe that thats it. I did find that the lf strut was busted yesterday so its new now. I am thinking thats part of the problem lol. it was awful bad last weekend. I started on the pole and was checked out till a caution came out. from that point on the car was awful. extremely loose almost like the rr was going down. again I have little experience in these stock suspension cars and my late model experience is no help lol!! thanks for all the advice and tips!!

7uptruckracer
09-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Check all your caster and cambers if you had one busted. Its good to know anyways make sure your caster is Positive on both sides with some split. If you have lead maybe increase rear weight make sure nothing is being the rear axles that will pitch the car. Hope it helps! If bite helps as long as you don't loose the handling in the other parts you might just need bite. Check all your travels it will help alot!

Headhunter
09-14-2012, 10:24 AM
One other thing to look at is the caster. I never raced dirt but I could tighten the mustang up just by taking a degree or two out of the LF. Yes the LF camber , as I brought the top of the tire out more I could loosen the car right up and setting the top back a little could tighten the car. I never really figured out why it workwed but I think that geometry. Also with the mustangs dont get hung up on ride height. Getting the front LCA's level was way better than any gain you got from trying to put the car at 4 inches will screw the geometry up you wont know what it wants to do.

7uptruckracer
09-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah I Agree Taking out caster will lenghten that sides wheel base which is why i said to check it it could show up any problems the longer LS wheel base will pull the car down and the split will put bite in the car is it turns. Also adding positive camber like you said can help at times.