PDA

View Full Version : ? on a KSE pump

tjmotorsports
09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a KSE fuel pump Power steering pump mounted on bell housing. How can you tell if the fuel pump is bad? any visual? Can you remove the geroter and use only the Power steering part of this if you wanted to use a block mounted pump?

Thanks

dynoman14
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Pump may use the fuel as partial lubrication. Call and ask for Ken Roper to see what you can do.
I would route the fuel line back to the cell and let it pump back there and then run the block pump straight to the carb.

Once you get the carb plumbed to the block pump, you can troubleshoot the bell house pump. You can plumb it to pump into a fuel jug and see if it is doing ok, if it pumping good you can run it back to the fuel cell with inline pressure gauge and see if the pressure is good.

I have found that they are weak on start-up and if they sit for a while and lose prime they don't like to start, but that is the case with most belt drive fuel pumps, a lot of folks set up a ball valve so they don't lose prime, I think Kinsler sells them.

merc123
09-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Friend of mine bought one used off eBay for a super good deal. He put it on the car and the car would crank and then die. The pump wasn't pumping enough for the carb to keep up and was draining the bowls. We primed the bowls with fuel and took the line off the carb and ran into a bucket and cranked the car. The fuel trickled out.

We took it apart and followed the pictures on the KSE website and lined it all back up. Put it back on the car and instantly had full stream of fuel. We assume the pump was sold because someone took it apart and put it back together wrong so they sold it because it was "broke".

The key is to line up all the marks correctly or it won't pump. The power steering portion worked fine. There is a keyway and it's a pain in the butt so be careful. Also make sure everything you take off goes back in the same order and same direction. The gerotor gears were a headache sometimes also and we busted one o-ring messing around.

The dowel pins all of the plates slide on are tapered. They go one way. My buddy forced them in and it made for a heck of a time getting the plates off when we had to take it apart 4 more times. I suggest you take it apart on a cleaned off table with a towel or something to catch the parts.

powerslide
09-29-2012, 08:48 PM
If it worked before take and scribe the sides that way you know you put it back right after installing rebuild kit. If tore apart by someone else and reassembled incorrect it will take awhile to get it correct. You will have to use merc123 advice.

racin6mod
09-30-2012, 01:23 PM
ya if your going to take it apart to remove the rotor you should just go ahead and rebuild it as stated above they're easy to work on if you do it your self and the kit's aren't to high priced. just check for cracks n the rotors the thin one is pron to cracking.I've rebuilt quit a few for a local parts reseller and the key is tobe clean and organized.

merc123
10-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Figure I would add, there is a certain way the plates go. The instructions show it but it can sometimes be difficult to tell.