PDA

View Full Version : fan to racer

rookie16
09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
my dad said its time so what chassis is best and why, whats the difference. also what do i expect to pay for a great engine like a 430 pro power jayens clemens when i call it seems they know iam a total rookie prices all over the board also who should i buy a car from iam liking the masterbilt and rocket and lazer any help in direction best parts ect

sj valley dave
09-19-2012, 11:30 AM
When we got into this we found a GRT that was a local car and put an iron wet sump into it...Afetr a season we found a really good deal on a used aluminum SB2.2 engine and ran it 1200 laps, got it freshened last winter and running right now...paid $12,500 for the used engine 819 HP deal...

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
SJVD made a very good, conservative approach at it.

If money were no object, I would have Ronnie Stuckey build me a race ready Gen-X MasterSbilt and I would pick it up and roll it into the trailer.

Matt49
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I would recommend getting a car that you have easy access to the following for that car:
1) Repairs - You don't want to have to take a day off work to haul half way across the country to put it on a jig if you ever need major repairs. If possible, find a builder close to home someplace that has a jig of that brand near where you are.
2) Setup help - It's nice to be different but it's better to have some people at the track that you can lean on for setup advice when you are out in left field. Most guys (even the guys that run up front) are happy to help somebody just getting started. They would rather see you running decent laps than being all over the place when they come around to lap you :-)
3) Spare parts - Don't buy a car that you can't get parts for (control arms, birdcages, etc.). And again, if it's something that a lot of other guys in your area run, you are more likely to find a spare part at the track if you need it.

Just my opinion but I know our proximity to our car builder (20 minutes from MasterSbilt) and the fact that a lot of other guys at the local tracks around hear run them has really made things easier on us.

StuckInReverse
09-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I would suggest driving a good car initially so you know what to expect out of your own. That could either be a track/school car, or someone who is willing to let you drive, say for the price of renting the track for a day. Another possibility is a practice night that the track puts on. There may be a track nearby doing a swap meet/practice now that the seasons are winding down. You need to have an idea of the amount of side bite, forward traction, etc that a 'good' car is capable of producing.

Further, you didn't specify which track. The biggest thing, I think, when starting from scratch, would be to go with the flow. If there are 14 of a certain chassis make, and maybe 4 or so of the others at your local track, there is a reason. Don't try to be 'different' starting out. Not only do those cars probably work at that track, odds are better you'll find friend out of 14 than out of 4. Also, make friends at the local race shop if you have one. The knowledge of who/where/what you'll pick up there, especially if you are buying a used car. Someone there will know if a 'great deal' is really just somebody's quick fix after last weeks big crash.

racer69
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Are you looking for new? I learned the hard way that you shouldn't build!

Find a good used car. Find one that is being raced and runs up front. But dont buy at the owner's shop. Buy it after a race or early the next morning! Setups tend to change on a "sold" car!

Most guys are honest but dont want their own setup beating them.

If your new this will get you much further along in the learning curve. And like mentioned earlier stick with a chassis who is close and more importantly willing to help. I race Mods and bought a car that was stuck together from a late Model and a Lightning Chassis. Don Adams(HEAVY DUTY) was still ready to help and got me rolling with bigger dogs quick. Thats invaluable!

Hope I didnt mis read or step on any toes but this IMO would be a safer way of jumping in. You can always upgrade(as they say) later when you have a better handle on the ins and outs.

LOL Or if money is no object find a great builder and buy turn key! And loan me a buck or 2!