PDA

View Full Version : Engine build help needed

sa92287
09-20-2012, 02:39 AM
I have a $3,000 engine build budget (parts/machining). What I currently have is a four bolt main 400 sbc. To my knowledge it has a stock crank and rods. I'm unsure on the pistons and I haven't pulled the valve covers to run the numbers on the heads. I'm sure they are stock cast iron chevy heads as it was a pure stock motor. Im looking for a good build plan that will both fit my budget and allow me to run in the ump stock car class. Any thoughts or ideas?

rcstreet1
09-20-2012, 11:53 AM
if this was me. i would get a set of double hump head, then hypereutectic piston about 150 dome. leave the stock rods for now. then put a flattapet cam in. if you have enough money i would get a steel crank. cast cranks scare me i have had bad luck with them

Dirt Knife
09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
http://forum.racingonline.com/engines-drivetrain-10/355-street-stock-motor-35043/

fast_crew
09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Stay away from the hyper. pistons, get a set of srp, mahle powerpak or comparible forged pistons. Stock crank should be fine for now(wet magged for cracks and checked for size), swap rods out for some forged K1's or callies compstar, or eagles if really on the cheap. Vortec heads, professional products intake. A good matched cam, try Jones cam designs. Then next rebuild swap crank for a forged.

Driver88
09-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Id be careful with the professional products intake. I purchased a new one earlier this year and when I went to put it on it didnt line up properly. If I lined the ports up on drivers side the bolt holes were off on the drivers side and the bolt holes lined up on the passenger side and the ports were off.

connor
09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Jr motorsports sell some rotating assamblies at a good price or cnc out of south dakota allways has good deals. Id make sure i have a good bottom end you can always up grade heads.

dirty white boy
09-21-2012, 09:08 PM
best thing to do,..is tare it down an figure out what you got! then get them parts checked to see if iss usable or wore out! then look at your rules an go from there!