PDA

View Full Version : 3 link panhard

newguy
09-20-2012, 10:07 AM
the way i understand it by lowering the rake in your car the less the car will roll over? is this correct? My first and last race with the car i was told that 3" of rake was a good starting point. frame side started even with the top of rearend housing running a 20" bar down hill 3". the car felt very unstable, it was tight in then would snap loose coming off, and the lf tire would bounce off the ground. i was running a 175 lb x 16" spring in the rr, i replaced that and put in a 200 lb x 16", I also lowerd the panhard on the frame side, now i have 1.5" of rake. this is on a 3000 lb superstock with a 20" solid pullbar.

washeduptoo
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Is this panhard behind the rear end housing?

newguy
09-20-2012, 03:14 PM
yes it is.

washeduptoo
09-20-2012, 03:30 PM
We used to run that rake on a mod but it was a longer panhard, it should be better with less rake like you have now with that short of bar in back, can't run on pinion in front I guess.

newguy
09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
yeah have a 20" min on the panhard behind rear, 20" max on pullbar

propit21
09-21-2012, 06:28 PM
give some more info about the set up. how much bite, left and rear weight %, trail, and bar angles.

newguy
09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
bite 110, pull bar 15 degrees, lr 10 degrees rr 5 degrees, rear % 53.2, left side is 1/4" shorter then right. thanx for any help.

washeduptoo
09-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Can you can run more pull bar angle, more rear percent and more lr bar angle?

newguy
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
yes i can, i dont really want to run more rear%,im already a lil over the min weight. but i can, also I do not have an once of lead behind the rearend, its all directly above, or slightly infront.

washeduptoo
09-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Never messed with a 3000# car but with a 3 link mod, increasing the lr bar angle and more angle in pull bar will increase drive if your breaking the tires loose. Try one at a time to see what it does to the car. Have you driven car since you lowered rake in panhard bar? Good luck

propit21
09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
if your running WCSS rules add a little more LR bar angle, also can you get the RR bar to 0. More rear % will help too.

as far as the upper you can add more angle if you like it will only help, how high is your wieght in the rear and where is it located. If you have a bunch over the RR try and move it left a little.

newguy
09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
my weight is right up against my deck, it cant get any higher, it is directly above the rear end or slightly infront to reduce on the pendelum effect, all my weight is to the left or center, i can probably get another 10 degrees or so out of the left rear, and my rr i can make level.

propit21
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
depending on how low the panhard bar is located is how long your moment arm is going to be. leave the 3" or 4" of rake in the panhard bar but move the whole bar up evenly if possible. So if you can move the frame mount side up an inch and the rearend side up an inch and that will help with take out some roll.

If your trying to use the bar for traction "climbing the bars" then you need more angle on the LR bar to help get it up on the bar. The longer 20" trailing arms needs more angle then a short bar that will react quicker. The RR level will help min rear steer.

I would keep the upper link at the angle its at now just to change one thing at a time so you will know what helps and what doesn't. First thing i would do if move the panhard bar up 1" all together if possible, and the next would be more angle LR and make sure to check trail when you do this, keep trail at what it is now 1/4" and make RR bar level and check trail. If that helps and need more then start messing with something else like upper link, shock, and so on.

DANNY
10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I have to run the same rear setup as Newguy and was wondering how a longer bar would work due to the way my rear end is set up? It most likely will be around 36" going from LR frame to just next to the RR spring. Its a winters floater with a large center portion that runs around 28" with 13" axle tubes...
Would I be better with welding a bracket to the rear end someplace to run the shorter bar? Or will it be better going left to right with the long bar?