PDA

View Full Version : Steel block motor too small for SLM class?

fastlane99
09-20-2012, 04:38 PM
My friend is getting into late models after helping me with my crate late for a few years. He has the opportunity to buy an all steel 377 stroker for a steal of a price. Problem is, its obviously too large for our local spec engine classes, and he isn't sure if its large enough to even be in the ballpark in the SLM class. Most tracks around here are either 3/8 or 1/2 mile. Motor has paperwork and dynoed right around 525-530 hp at the crank. Since I've only messed with crates, I thought I'd ask you all for help or suggestions for him. Thanks

HuckleberryB4
09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
It's definitely too small in my opinion. Most SLM cars now days are dynoing around 800. The car I've been driving the last couple of weeks has an all aluminum 18* 414 and dynoed at 780. Even the 18* stuff is being used less and less anymore.

perfconn
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
On hard tires and short tracks he might be competetive but don't even think about racing against soft tires or on a big track.

huckleberry_hound
09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
We have a local 3/8 track that also runs sprints and gets black slick every night. I've seen crate engines and little 383's outrun the big aluminum motors in the late models many many times.

hucktyson
09-21-2012, 07:01 AM
On hard tires and short tracks he might be competetive but don't even think about racing against soft tires or on a big track.

There a track called pennsylvania motor speedway its a huge half mile and 604 crates are only a couple tenths off supers on open tires, the only issue would be is if your track has a decent amount of bite you would be screwed

FlatTire
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Its definitely not ideal, but if its cheap and you will be running on little slick tracks with hard tires, and its your friends first time
with a late model then it might not be a bad idea.

hpmaster
09-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Small motors dont hurt on small slick tracks.

Gillespie4
09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
How do you guys think a steel block mod engine would stack up? 383, 650 hp

docbolton
09-21-2012, 10:32 PM
I will sell u a new fresh 406 wit 230 darts full roller valve train complete intake to pan bolt in an go $ 4000.00 513 557 9244

dfhotlm33c
09-22-2012, 08:28 AM
My ideas:

Your success will partially depend on car counts each night, and if they qualify or just pill draw.

WE run a 550-600 hp 377 at a large 3/8 mile track in Ohio that slicks off every night. They qualify though, and there's usually a great deal of bite in the track. The best our car can muster when the track is heavy is high 18 second laps, and the leaders are qualifying in the low 18 second range. This puts us behind the 8 ball if there are more than 20 cars (Our track only starts 20 for the feature), as we end up in a poor starting spot for the heat, and then usually end up in the B-main hoping to make it into the show. If we do make the show, we are in good shape, because the times for everyone, even the leaders, drop to the 19.8-20.2 range, and then with the right setup and tire selection. we can make some passes and do pretty well.

If the car owner is a new driver it may be a good idea to let him have the small motor, as it will be a good way to get his feet wet, and if he wrecks and damages the motor, you're not out the big $ for the big engine. We will be building a bigger (420) motor next year, and I am confident it will make a huge difference.

I read on here once that if you're a new driver, learn how to drive a car first before worrying about power. When you can run fast enough that you are only being beat because of your engine, then it's time to upgrade.

Hope that helps

powerslide
09-22-2012, 12:06 PM
i think that would be excellent for a first timer if he has never driven anything maybe not if he has other experience. Sometimes power is a new drivers worst enemy it can get him in trouble. Use it a year then save it as a backup or sell it.

LM14
10-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Couple of points to ponder:

First, how often do 800 HP motors actually get to be fully utilized at your track? Refer to the other's discussion points on slick tracks. You very seldom get to use all you have.

Second, all an iron block limits is weight placement. Iron isn't an HP deal, it's a weight deal. In some series/at some tracks there is a weight break for iron block or they get more spoiler. It can have advantages in certain places. Depends on your rules package.

Third, I would rather have a smooth power curve in a 377 than a spiky curve on a 420. Don't spend so much time looking at the dyno numbers, you can make numbers be anything you want. Look at the shape of the torque curve to see if it's drivable and smooth or spiky and hard to control.

I would rather start with a really good chassis and be down on power a little than a great powerful engine and scrimp on chassis if I had to choose one over the other.

JMO,
SPark

F22 RAPTOR
10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Couple of points to ponder:

First, how often do 800 HP motors actually get to be fully utilized at your track? Refer to the other's discussion points on slick tracks. You very seldom get to use all you have.

Second, all an iron block limits is weight placement. Iron isn't an HP deal, it's a weight deal. In some series/at some tracks there is a weight break for iron block or they get more spoiler. It can have advantages in certain places. Depends on your rules package.

Third, I would rather have a smooth power curve in a 377 than a spiky curve on a 420. Don't spend so much time looking at the dyno numbers, you can make numbers be anything you want. Look at the shape of the torque curve to see if it's drivable and smooth or spiky and hard to control.

I would rather start with a really good chassis and be down on power a little than a great powerful engine and scrimp on chassis if I had to choose one over the other.

JMO,
SPark

Could not agree more.