PDA

View Full Version : Riding the brakes

Hagen14t
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey guys i know ive asked this before but i just wanted to get more opinions on it. Is it possible to ride the brake so much that the left rear rotor starts glowing red? Ive seen some guys have this and they are always up front when the track gets slower. Just wondering if they are that good or is something else up?

Throwin' it in
09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Could be many explanations. Are you seeing it in the corners or on the straight aways? With the new aggresive brake pads everyone is running, you will see quite a few glowing rotors and sparks. Not to bring up the touchy subject but I will anyways. There is traction control out there that is monitored by wheel speed and uses GPS satelites to track the car. This device apply brakes to the car so that could always be the reason.

racin6mod
09-20-2012, 09:25 PM
I"ve seen a guy do this with a brake floater on the lr and a shut off valve on the rr. this is to hold the lr up on the bars and holding down on the rf. not sure if this is what your seeing but A racer at a near by track told me he likes it. claims it helps the car pivot in the cent. I do have a brake floater on the lr for next season but still thinking about the rr shut off.

Dirtracer50
09-21-2012, 12:27 AM
RR shut off? With a full spool how would the chassis know the difference between two brake calipers on the rear and just one on the left rear? Had a guy last season tell me he ran good racing brake pads on the LR and cheap parts store pads on the RR and it made his car work great entering on the brakes. I have thought about this a bunch and just don't understand how this could be with a spool? If anyone can explain this to me I'm all ears.

jsf74
09-21-2012, 04:19 AM
My rr rotor gets red hot in the feature. I like to drive in deep and use a lot of brakes. No crazy traction control just a little over driving. Lol.

xxxmod
09-21-2012, 09:14 AM
the secrets out, riding the brake through the corner on the slick increases corner speed,
aggressive LR pads pivot the car.

powerslide
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
maybe they dont have a spool after all....

dirttrackrocker
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't buy into the Cheap pads or shut off on the RR. I had a hub seal go out and coated the RR brake pad with oil. It affected the entire rear brake bias, not just the RR.

MOD434
09-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't buy into that rear brake pad deal with a locked rearend what so ever . Please explain if possible . Thanks

Confused?
09-22-2012, 03:49 PM
It has more to do with how the braking forces are tranmitted to the chassis. With a brake floater, the forces are pushed through the bar to the frame. This can be adjusted to tune how much force is applied to that tire. Without the brake floater, the baking forces are applied to the pull bar or lift arm. This action can easily unload the rear tires by creating wheel hop.

The reason for the less aggresive pads on the RR is to move the forces more to the floater and away from the pull bar.

Confused?
09-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I would tend to think, if the rotor(s) are glowing alot, the calipers are sticking.

AmickRacing
09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Thinking out loud here, and it's been known to nearly injure myself before.

Could it be possible that the RR rotor is getting more air than the LR, and that's whats causing one to glow and one to not be glowing? Could be the way the car is in yaw while it's moving, and sliding, and mud plugs, etc.

xxxmod
09-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Interesting thought about the LR not getting enough air...saw a modified with brake ducting to the LR rotor
a while back.

racer69
09-25-2012, 08:57 PM
ya know I have seen the same thing lately!

LM14
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Stood in the infield and watched Ryan Gustin trounce everyone else one night. His LR rotor went red just past the flag stand and went dark just off the corners. It was like a light switch got thrown lap after lap. What you are seeing is a good trail braker with agressive brake pads. He never unloaded the rear suspension for 30 laps and passed everyone up to 4th place.

Yes, changing brake pads on a solid axle can effect car balance. It works best, and is more pronounced with a brake floater. If you roll a car down a hill and throw a block of wood under the LR tire, the car will try to turn left as it comes to a stop. If you roll the same car down a hill and throw a block of wood under each rear tire, it will stop straighter.

You change the way a car comes off the corner with bar angles, spring rates and tire weights, why wouldn't the same thing work in reverse when braking?

Think about it,
SPark

Hagen14t
10-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Thank you for the responses. Has anyone ever heard of putting a residual valve in the rear brakes or just even the left rear brake so it always holds pressure on that brake??