PDA

View Full Version : David Smith Claims Second Career FASTRAK City Chevrolet Championship

FASTRAKPR
09-22-2012, 03:03 AM
David Smith Claims Second Career FASTRAK City Chevrolet Championship

Carnesville, Georgia – After picking up his first FASTRAK Touring Title back in 2010, David Smith believed he had found a perfect fit for his racing endeavors. Smith, a former NASCAR Camping World (then Craftsman) Truck Series competitor, spent several years racing Super Late Models on dirt before moving to the more economical crate engine powered machines in 2007. “We had a great season. We just found consistency with the car and didn’t get ourselves into in trouble. Last year we had some self-inflicted problems that hurt us and probably ended up costing us the championship. Brandon (Umberger) only beat us by a few points there at the finale at Wythe. So we are very happy with how our program is going headed into the World Championships at Beckley.” Smith said.

Smith picked up the 2012 season opener at Cleveland County Speedway back in April and was the picture of consistency thereafter. “I stay pretty basic with the set-up of the car. So at 90% of the races we go to we are pretty good and just have to work to get that other 10%. TNT Race Cars has been a big boost to our program since we made the switch. They have been really consistent and suit me very well. And that has helped us maintain that consistency.” Smith said In fact Smith only finished outside of the top 10 in 2 events during the 2012 and one of those was attributed to engine problems. “We just stayed out trouble and put ourselves in a position to finish well.” Smith added.

Smith also attributes his success to his supporters including crew, family and sponsors. “We are fortunate to drive for Stanley McCarter and represent McCarter Towing. Our family company, Hi Bridge Automotive and my crew chief Bob Szabo’s Fuel Curve Engineering have been behind us and are a huge part of our success. Troy Johnson has also played a major role for us this year. Tony and Teresa Ford at TNT Race Cars have kept a great chassis underneath us and I can’t thank them enough for all that they do. Then our product folks like VP Fuels, Griffin Radiators, FK Rod Ends, Brake Man, Beyea Headers, R2C and Big A’s Custom Graphics – it takes them all to be able to do this. And I can’t forget the support from my wife Diane and children Chelsea and Jacob.”

After securing his $10,000 City Chevrolet Title Smith is not nearly done for 2012. He and his team are now preparing for October’s FASTRAK World Championships and Weekly World Challenge at Beckley Motorsports Park in Beckley, West Virginia. Smith is highly optimistic about his chances at Beckley. “We have never done very well at the year-end deal but I think we have as good a shot as anyone else for this one. We qualified on the outside pole up there for the tour event in May and ran 2nd. We went back up there for their UBB race and we were fast but broke in hot laps. So we have some pretty good information and our car was good. We are taking 2 cars, one to run the World Championship and one for the World Challenge. That should help us too. So we just have to go up there and put ourselves in a good position to win and see where we end up.” Smith concluded.

The FASTRAK Racing Series City Chevrolet Touring Divisions would like to thank all of its marketing partners for their great and continuing support. Those 2012 sponsors include: Hoosier Race Tires, VP Racing Fuel, City Chevrolet, Chevrolet Performance Parts, Integra Shocks, Genesis Shocks, Vicci Apparel, TNT Race Cars, Rocket Chassis, Longhorn Race Cars, RockAuto.com and FK Rod Ends. FASTRAK would also like to welcome Cool Shirt, Five Star Bodies, Hooker Harness, Kooks Custom Headers, R2C Filters, Sisco Fire and Safety and Tiger Rear Ends to our line-up of product sponsors. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the “Premier Pro Late Model Series in the Country” please contact Stan Lester at the FASTRAK Corporate Office at (678) 935-7304 or Series Director Kelley Carlton at (864) 871-1442. Visit the FASTRAK Racing Series online at www.fastrakracing.com and be sure to like us on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter at @FASTRAK_Racing