PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Question/Process

kevpow
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I have some questions concerning scaling. Do most of you guys scale your car full of fuel? Also, whats your process? I've heard that you need to unhook the fifth coil, the traction shock and remove an axel? Is this all true? Whats the most effective process. Thanks in advance.

FlatTire
09-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I have adjustable shocks so I soften them up all I can. Instead of pulling an axle I put 2 pieces of large plastic under each rear tire so the car will "rest" better on the scale and not be
bound up by an axle. Nobody ever mentions the front end binding up but if you have ever aligned a car with surface plates you will see the amount of side force there can be on the front
tires when you pull the pins. Putting 2pcs of large plastic under each front tires will alleviate most of this. I also have some marks on the floor so my scales sit in the same spot every time.
If you have a traction shock, remove that from the car. I also scale with 20gallons of fuel and no driver because this is what my chassis builder bases his numbers from.

AmickRacing
09-27-2012, 11:24 PM
I think doing it the same is more important than "what" you do.

I use grain scales, and due to their wheels and axles they help quite a bit with the movement and binding of the car when you jack it up and let it down.

I weigh the car with me in it the 1st time, then get out and weigh it again. From then on out I weigh it with out me in it, mostly so I can do it by myself.

I also soften the shocks, and try to always put the 4-link bars in the same holes every time.
I leave the traction shock on (run it almost all the time), keep the 5th coil hooked up. Basically as it's ready to run, is how I weigh it.
I try to keep the fuel level pretty close from week to week also.

hall99
09-28-2012, 09:32 AM
We also have the floor marked to use the same spot everytime. We also have those areas shot and leveled with each other, makes a considerable difference.

LR axle out 5th arm backed off.

grtforever
09-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Scale procedure is one of the most overated things ever, the car is never setting still and level on the race track, so what difference do those numbers make, set the ride heights and let'er eat

hall99
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Scale procedure is one of the most overated things ever, the car is never setting still and level on the race track, so what difference do those numbers make, set the ride heights and let'er eat

I matters so you know can be consistant with setup from track to track. I don't think ride heights are going to be very accurate with the possibility of a tire sitting an inch lower than the others.

lovinlatemodels
09-28-2012, 05:15 PM
I matters so you know can be consistant with setup from track to track. I don't think ride heights are going to be very accurate with the possibility of a tire sitting an inch lower than the others.

I agree having the scales level is very important more so then anything else if you don't think it is just set one scale 1/2 higher then the other 3 and look at the changes. Also the practice of unhooking traction shocks or 5th springs has some effect just remember to do it the same every week i even used the same 4 tires and stagger to keep things consitent each week and make changes from there what you leave the garage with and come home with might not be the same but you will kno what your changes do if you scale your car the same each week.

RW57
09-29-2012, 09:48 AM
We have been having scale problems car always was 30 to 40 pounds off from track scales so I decided to swap scales all around RR to LR LF to RF. RR scale had always acted funny when weighing it I had always thought it weighed light, When I did this I was stunned to see car had 175 pounds RR w/o driver we had been setting it with 80# RR w/o driver and around 40 # w driver. I was stunned so I moved all scales again same thing finally I put RR scale on LF and set car guess what car weighed out right as far as total weight also . All scales weigh right when they are out from under car my son weighs between 155 to 160 pounds and scales are right on weighing him. So no 1 yes it is important I think our problem is floor as I have not did my homework on floor no 2 we have learned with grain scales to only put one wheel at a time on them if you try to jack up front and put on scales and jack up back and put scales it will bind or at least ours do also center wheel up on scale carefully try this do it like I said then go back and jack up 1 wheel at a time and realign scale you will be shocked how much of a bind scale is in. Just my opinion on this,