PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding/servicing a Brinn

dirttrackrocker
09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Trying to save a little money and do some of my own maintenance this year. I see Brinn has rebuild instructions on their website. Any problems I should be aware of?
Also my Brinn doesn't have the output shaft turned down ahead of the splines to accept an 8" yoke. Can this be turned down at a machine shop, or is it too hard?

hammond
09-28-2012, 10:47 AM
the best way to turn down the output shaft is to have it turn on a crank grinder .

Dirtrunner35
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
I know it's not the correct way but on my saginaw we used a grinder, used it for a year with no problems

johnny v
09-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Trying to save a little money and do some of my own maintenance this year. I see Brinn has rebuild instructions on their website. Any problems I should be aware of?
Also my Brinn doesn't have the output shaft turned down ahead of the splines to accept an 8" yoke. Can this be turned down at a machine shop, or is it too hard?

As far as doing it yourself.... We have a transmission Guy that Races around here and he says anyone can work on a Brinn, but if you got a bert.... you gotta have special tools and about 4 hands....

dirttrackrocker
09-28-2012, 09:53 PM
As far as doing it yourself.... We have a transmission Guy that Races around here and he says anyone can work on a Brinn, but if you got a bert.... you gotta have special tools and about 4 hands....

I have heard the same about Berts, the instructions on the Brinn site don't sound too complicated.

Thanks for the replies.

powerslide
09-29-2012, 08:12 PM
You need an extremely good pair of snap ring pliers to get the rear shaft out of the brinn. I had mine turned down

racin6mod
09-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I repair/rebuild bert,brinns and falcons and the brinn is the better of the three to work on. as for turning down the out put shaft I turn them in my lathe using a carbide inserted radius tool to keep from weaking the shaft.