PDA

View Full Version : LR Birdcage ?

RACR_73s
09-28-2012, 03:23 PM
This week it was time for a bolt check and I found the upper left rear bar had issues at the birdcage. The bolt was tight but it spun real easy like it was loose. I have 3 slots on the birdcage that I can use and each slot has 3 vertical location to mount the bar. What had happened is the bolt had chewed up the birdcage and had worn out the seperation for the vertical mounting and was allowing the bar to ride up and down on the birdcage.

1) What would this do to the handeling of the car?
2) Which slot should I move it to? (towards the front or back of the car)
3) Where in the slot (up/middle/bottom) of the slot should I put the bar?
4) Do I need to change bar lenght? Why or why not?

I chose to use the back slot and used the high position(furthest from rearend). My thought for the hight was to help take bar angle out to help keep left front down(correct?) but I don't really know benefits of front to back slot choice.

~Thanks Again~

HuckleberryB4
09-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Without seeing the birdcage, I would guess that the bolt loosened and chewed up the middle slot.

The slot you move it to is up to you. If you want the car to bar up and react faster off of the corner you need to move it to the front slot. If you want the car to delay the reaction of barring up use the back slot. You will need to adjust your bar length accordingly though. If you use the front slot, you need to measure the distance from the center of the opening of the middle slot to the center of the opening of the front slot. Whatever this measurement is, you need to shorten your bar that much if you plan to use the front slot. If you use the rear slot, lenghten your bar by that measurement. If you have just moved it to the back slot without changing the length, you've added index to the birdcage.

Also, the closer you move your bar towards the axle tube (down on the birdcage) the faster it's going to react. The higher up you run it, the slower the reaction will be. If it were me, I would run it in the middle then adjust from there.

RACR_73s
09-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks Huck, I was in the middle slot and high on the cage(away from rear end). I made a new bar today and put it in the back slot up high on the cage. I measured the difference in the slots and it was about 1 1/2" but I only needed about an 1 1/8" longer bar to put it in the same location(made the new one with the old still in place). I am trying to keep the "reaction" as close to the same as possible...what would you suggest? If I understand your explanation I should move it down on the cage(towards the rear end)...in the middle hole or all the way? Thanks for the help.

Dirt2727
09-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks Huck, I was in the middle slot and high on the cage(away from rear end). I made a new bar today and put it in the back slot up high on the cage. I measured the difference in the slots and it was about 1 1/2" but I only needed about an 1 1/8" longer bar to put it in the same location(made the new one with the old still in place). I am trying to keep the "reaction" as close to the same as possible...what would you suggest? If I understand your explanation I should move it down on the cage(towards the rear end)...in the middle hole or all the way? Thanks for the help.

WHY CHANGE THE LOCATION AT ALL? TAKE ANOTHER BOLT AND CUT WHATEVER THE THICKNESS OF THE BIRDCAGE IS, OFF THE THREAD END. MAKE 2 OF THESE AND PUT THEM IN THE AREAS OF THE SLOT THAT YOU DONT WANT THE BAR IN.....THEN USE A BIG WASHER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BIRDCAGE TO KEEP THESE SLUGS LOCATED....sry for all caps didnt realize it till almost finished.