PDA

View Full Version : Gentry Has Winning Debut With New SLM Package

crusapr
09-28-2012, 04:13 PM
CARTERSVILLE, GA – David Earl Gentry of Murfreesboro, TN showed a glimpse of the future of Super Late Model Racing in the winning debut of his $7,000 Chevrolet Performance CT 525-powered race car equipped with $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks. Gentry won the Super Late Model Season Championship Race on Saturday night at Winchester Speedway in Winchester, TN.

Gentry’s Eads Farms/Hardy and Associates Warrior is the prototype for the new Super Late Model Series that will be sanctioned by Crate Racin’ USA for the 2013 season. The Super Late Models in the new series will be powered by the Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine and will also use the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks.

Gentry started third in the race and passed super late model standout Jay Brinkley for the lead. Gentry then pulled away to take the win with a half-track advantage at the checkered flag. Gentry was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the new super late model package.

“Ronnie Johnson and David Jackson, who had run the CT 525, told me that I would like it, but I was really surprised with its performance,” Gentry said. “I’ve driven super late models with high-dollar high-horsepower engines and high dollar adjustable shocks, but this package gave me the most drivable race car I’ve ever had.”

Gentry won the race at Winchester Speedway with the same chassis set up he has used in the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Touring Division, where he is second in points and has three wins this season. All he did was change engines from the Chevrolet Performance 604 Engine to the Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine.

“I ran the same shock package I’ve run all season, and the only thing I did was change the engine and change the gear,” Gentry said. “I didn’t know how the car would react to the CT 525, as far as handling goes, but I found out the car worked better than it ever has, and it was very driver friendly. It would come off the corner and the torque of the engine would pull it all of the way down the straightaway with no wheel spin. I’ve never run that high of a gear at Winchester, and I was surprised that it worked as well as it did.”

After competing and winning with a super late model race car powered by the Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine and using the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks, Gentry, a two-time NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Champion, has come to realize that spending more doesn’t necessarily make you faster.

“The $40,000 800 horsepower all-aluminum engines and $5,000 adjustable shock packages are all quick temporary fixes and we’re losing the concept of adjusting the race car,” Gentry said. “Since I’ve been running the Chevrolet Performance 604 Crate engines and the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks, I’ve learned more this year about adjusting the race car to make it go faster than I ever have in my career.”

Gentry’s success in the super late model race car powered by the Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine and suspended with the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks has created more interest in the new Crate Racin’ USA-sanctioned Super Late Model Series for 2013, as other competitors are learning that it is possible to spend less and go faster.

“A lot people came by to look at the car after the race, and I’ve had a lot of questions about the car and the new series then and through the week,” Gentry said. “I’m really excited about the new series for next year, and I think it’s going to be successful and something that is really needed in this economy.”

Gentry will run the car with the Chevrolet Performance CT 525 and $135 Bilstein Spec Shock package in super late model competition again this Saturday night at Winchester Speedway in the $3,000-to-win Rebel 40.

Crate Racin’ USA Founder and Director Mike Vaughn said details of the new series, including sponsorship and the 2013 schedule of events are being finalized and an announcement about the series will be made in the coming weeks.

“The response about the new series for dirt late models powered by the Chevrolet CT 525 Engine and using the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks has been tremendous,” Vaughn said. “We are currently finalizing the sponsorship of the series and putting the final touches on the 2013 schedule. We are hopeful we can formally announce the series soon.”

The Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine is based on the all-aluminum Corvette LS Engine and has been engineered at the Chevrolet factory for use as a dirt late model engine. It is sealed at the factory to prevent any expensive modifications. It has been proven over the past three years as a winning and durable engine that requires no maintenance except for changing the oil.

The Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine is readily available for purchase and free next day delivery anywhere in the Southeast from NeSmith Chevrolet in Claxton, GA. The Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Engine costs $6,995 and a race-ready “turnkey” kit can be added for an additional $2,259. The only other accessories needed are a carburetor, fuel pump, power steering pump and headers. To place an order, call Tim Bland at NeSmith Chevrolet at 1-877-497-3624.

Gentry is one of five drivers known as the “Bilstein Bandits” who have been working with the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks on-track Research and Development Program since February with winning results on the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Tour and the NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series.

There are ten different $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks that come in the package, and Gentry said he has used pretty much the same shock combination for the entire 2012 season.

“I’ve run the Bilstein Spec Shocks on all four corners and the fifth coil,” Gentry said. “I’ve run the same shocks on three corners and the fifth coil, and I’ve just changed shocks on one corner for different track sizes and conditions. If you break or bend one of these shocks, you just throw it away because you can buy a new one for a lot less than you can get an adjustable shock repaired or replaced.”

Bilstein Shocks Southeastern Motorsports Sales Representative Jim Hiland said the factory is ready to send out the first run of the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks this week that will be available through Crate Racin’ USA and its assigned distributors.

“When we began the Bilstein Spec Shock Program back in February, we had a pretty good idea how it would turn out and we’re more than happy with the results,” Hiland said. “We knew we could produce a $135 shock that would stand up against any shock out there. It’s hard to prove a point without the right guys to prove it with. David Earl Gentry, Johnny Stokes, Mark Tice, Michael Blount and Frank Wilson have done a great job for us in the R&D Program.”

Vaughn said the $135 Bilstein Spec Shock will also be available to competitors in other racing divisions nationwide besides just dirt late model competitors.

“We will make the $135 Bilstein Spec Shocks available not only to dirt late model racers, but also to Modified, Street Stock, Mini Stock, and any other type of race car out there anywhere in the country that runs racing shocks,” Vaughn said. “Many of our NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series tracks have already committed to allowing the shock to be used in their other divisions.”

Crate Racin’ USA will be announcing more details about the availability of the $135 Bilstein Spec Shock and the distributors for it in the coming days. Crate Racin’ USA also sanctions the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series and the NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series for dirt late models powered by the Chevrolet Performance 604 and 602 Crate Engines.

For more information about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series visit the series web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.

NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC of Claxton, GA is the Title Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC is the nation’s number one GM Powertrain Dealer four years running, with free delivery anywhere in the Southeast. Chevrolet Performance Parts is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. Hoosier Racing Tire is the Official Tire Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. VP Racing Fuel is the Official Racing Fuel of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. Hedman Hedders is the Official Hedder of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series and the Hedman Husler Award sponsor. Bilstein Shocks is the Official Spec Shock of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. RockAuto.com is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Contingency Sponsors for 2012 are Dominator Race Products, Race Car Engineering, KRC, QA 1 Precision Products, Modern Images, Mike Custom Tanks, Shorty’s Shock Service, Schoenfeld Headers, Integra Racing Shocks, J.T. Kerr Racing Equipment, Kinser Air Filters, Trak-Star Race Cars, Warrior Race Cars, Rocket Chassis, GRT Race Cars, TNT Race Cars, and Stinger Race Cars.