PDA

View Full Version : Reset ride height after a bar change?

HuckleberryB4
09-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Just wondering if you guys reset ride heights after making a bar change? Or do you just simply make the bar change?

Matt49
09-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Just wondering if you guys reset ride heights after making a bar change? Or do you just simply make the bar change?

I would be less concerned with how a bar change affects the ride height and more concerned with how it affects your bite.
Time on the scales in the shop (a.k.a doing your homework) goes a long way toward understanding how bar changes affect bite.
Get a case of beer and spend an evening just moving bars and noting how it affects bite and you'll learn a lot about your race car.
Share the beer with a friend or you may learn other things you weren't interested in :-)

HuckleberryB4
09-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Losing bite (or gaining) after making a bar change is the reason I was asking about reseting ride hts Matt. 9 out of 10 ppl I see make a bar change don't reset ride heights including myself. A couple of weeks ago I scaled a Rocket and put all the bars neutral, like Rocket called for. After I got everything set I adjusted the bars to where I wanted them and didn't hardly notice any difference in numbers at all. That's why I'm here asking.

Matt49
09-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Losing bite (or gaining) after making a bar change is the reason I was asking about reseting ride hts Matt. 9 out of 10 ppl I see make a bar change don't reset ride heights including myself. A couple of weeks ago I scaled a Rocket and put all the bars neutral, like Rocket called for. After I got everything set I adjusted the bars to where I wanted them and didn't hardly notice any difference in numbers at all. That's why I'm here asking.

In a perfect world, a bar angle change would not affect bite but the only way to know is to put it on the scales (which you did). It sounds like you are in pretty good shape with that Rocket. On our smack car, one of the bar changes that we like to make as the track gets slicker also adds bite but we don't take it back out because it compliments what we are trying to do (tighten corner exit).
HOWEVER, did you scale after each bar change or just change them all and then rescale?
It could be that moving one added bite, moving another removed it, etc. and you ended up close to where you were on numbers but each individual bar change could have been doing something that only checking it after moving each one would tell you.
Every car is going to be a little different on this stuff and even changing springs is going to change how the bar changes affect everything.

jedclampit
09-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Never yet.