PDA

View Full Version : RR lead

Hagen14t
10-03-2012, 01:39 PM
This past weekend i was running on a dry slick 3/8 mile track. In the heat i thought the car was OK, but still needed more from the center off. So i shortened the right side wheel base 2 turns. Before this i had about 1/8" right rear lead, and after the adjustment i had about 3/8" right rear lead. The car seemed to have better grip center off, but became WAY too loose into the corner. I liked how it grabbed the track after the adjustment though. Should i back the lead back off to where it was and figure other ways to help center off, or leave it and try and fix entry the way it is? Are many people even running RR lead?

charcoal01
10-03-2012, 02:39 PM
We run straight up to 1/4 back on the rr. I think there is better was to tighten center off, like dropping your left lower, or raising your left upper, or drop your right upper. If you're a little snug in and tight off, try just cranking 3 rounds into the lr and see what you think.

Hagen14t
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Whats good ways to tighten entry?

charcoal01
10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Drop your right lower or drop the j bar on the pinion.

Hagen14t
10-03-2012, 05:09 PM
The RR lower is at 0. And i cant go any lower on the pinion. I have about 5.5 inches of rake in the j bar. Does that seem okay?

charcoal01
10-03-2012, 05:18 PM
5.5 may be a little low for a real slick track. Go up on the frame side to 6 inches and if the car likes it, go to 6.5. The car may be rolling on rr too muh at entry and making it have loose roll steer too early, with your j bar being that low with so little split.

I'm sure you already know but on slick slick tracks you need to drive STRAIGHT into the corner, using brakes lightly just to slow the car, don't use them to turn it. If you aren't doing this now you might find out you were pretty close to begin with.

oldtrackchamp4x
10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Agree with raising j-bar on frame and driving in straight, but you stated it was loose in, so i wouldn't add any more rounds in LR as you will loosen up entry even more. JMO.

charcoal01
10-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I was more going off his original setup, he only said he got loose on entry after he shortened the right side more. As I recently learned with these cars you can get yourself way out in left field by trying to put a band aid on a band aid. You can get yourself so far off what the car needs you start thinking its terribly loose off when really you've made it so tight in by trying to tighten exit, it won't turn anymore.

Get the car to a more nuetral setup and do what the books say to tighten exit. I like to have a car that will drive off the corner underneath someone on a slick track, so sacrificing a little speed in is ok as long as it launches center off. You gonna have a practice soon?