PDA

View Full Version : LR shock placement

merc123
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
New rules require shocks to be in front of rear end housing. What changes would need to be made in setups to compensate for this?

What does it do in general? Tighten on entry? On exit?

Does one chassis work better like this than another with both shocks in front?

Thanks.

C10
10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
my question is can you still mount the spring behind the rear? Like on a coil over eliminator?

hpmaster
10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
You need to see if they allow the spring behind. The spring behind allows the bird cage to rotate into the spring for more bite during roll in which case I am pretty sure it would act almost exactly like a shock behind.

Matt49
10-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Does anyone make a coil-over eliminator that is NOT for a 5" spring. I ask because I'm not sure you could get one to fit on most late model bird cages without some modification and the clearances issues up on the frame could be problematic also.

andy16
10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
isn a dummy shock essentually a coil over eliminator? when everybody first switched to two shocks on l/r we ran the spring on a dummy behind and a 3-5 shock in front long time ago, it wasn too bad for back then untill we learned better

Matt49
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
isn a dummy shock essentually a coil over eliminator? when everybody first switched to two shocks on l/r we ran the spring on a dummy behind and a 3-5 shock in front long time ago, it wasn too bad for back then untill we learned better

Yeah but if his rules say no shock behind that means no shock, not even a dummy. I think that's why others are trying to figure out if this really means no spring behind also or if you can run an coil-over eliminator. I just wonder if a 5" coil-over eliminator would even work on some late models.

andy16
10-07-2012, 07:29 PM
yea we do need more info. my friend in town has a older modified that he just updated to put a qiuck change under w newer birdcages and had a time getn 5'' eliminators to clear everything alot of mocking up and thinking good luck

C10
10-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Anything can be fabbed

HEAVY DUTY
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Does anyone make a coil-over eliminator that is NOT for a 5" spring. I ask because I'm not sure you could get one to fit on most late model bird cages without some modification and the clearances issues up on the frame could be problematic also.

Some of the asphalt stuff runs 2 1/2" coil over eliminators. Most of them have a 5" steel flat plate that could be cut dowhn for clearance. They have a 3 1/4 od piece of tubing to center the 5" spring. You should be able to run the 2 1/2" spring inside of that tubing to hold it in place.

merc123
10-08-2012, 09:31 AM
They haven't posted the defined rules for the season yet. They changed them mid season this year and the only thing it said was:

"shocks must be in front of rear end, 50lbs in front of motor plate no adjustable shocks"

So I guess an eliminator with the spring on the back might be a good alternative if they don't specify that in the rules. They did say only one shock per wheel in the original rules so that may apply.

WV_Race_Fan
10-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Why not just run the shock and spring in front of the axle clamped on the LR? I'm sure someone can dig up some old setup books with a baseline clamped setup. The spring packages were different back then, and shocks nowhere near as evolved. But I'm sure it could be done with success.

Later,

WV Race Fan

huntingrip
10-18-2012, 09:44 AM
we had alot of success in the late 90`s early 2000`s with the shock in front clamped up deal..warriors and rockets like it! key is getting the clamp set correctly..

andy16
10-18-2012, 11:56 PM
i also ran it clamped on a 95 warrior in front. a problem we had w it was the rear would roll forward and hit the spring this was in 98 but to be honest we didn know what we were doing. i think the upper shock mount was too far back and caused trouble. car had leafs originally. it died shortly after that. rip big red :(

JAMESGANGRACING
10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
actualy you may be surprised how well a car drives with the spring ahead on the birdcage.