PDA

View Full Version : Steering on turned stub front end

TDR
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a turned stub car and I can't get it to steer to the right enough... If it steps out the lack of steering will cause me to spin out... My question is what is the best way to fix the steering problem

Was thinking about altering the pitman arm so I could turn it on the box.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

washeduptoo
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Do you have the idler arm and pitman parrell to each other? You could lengthen ride side tie rod and shorten left side tie rod to keep your toe in, that should help. Good luck.

TDR
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Idler and pitman are parallel... Already adjusted the tie rods that way.. Just need more

washeduptoo
10-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Your pitman arm isn't twisted is it where it mounts on the box, had that happen before. Have you taken drag link and stuff off pitman to make sure box has full rotation? Good luck.

FLYNBRYAN
10-12-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't think its not enough steer to the right, it sounds more like a push loose condition.

BlackSlick2008
10-12-2012, 10:19 PM
How far to the right are you wanting to go. Be careful not to go so far that you end up with the right front tire hitting the sub clip.

Have you wrecked the car? Tapped the wall? Rough race track? Without knowing more details, I would assume you have a junk gearbox.

Having the front stub being turned has nothing to do with how far the wheels turn. Even if the chassis were to be in the shape of a boomerang. The turning radius of the steering box remains the same.

You should be able to start with both tie rod assemblies the same length at 0 toe and adjust to desired toe from that point by slightly lengthening the RF.

texas racer
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Just about all the builders now turn the front clips. Some thing you should do is plum bob your rear end off the engine plate. Drop a plum bob off the front of the rear end to the engine plate around L/R 69 3/4 TO 70 1/4 R/R 70 3/8 TO 70 5/8. My clip from the center of the front lower ball to the frame where the 4 bar brackets bolt up is 89 3/4 on the left side and 91'' on the right