PDA

View Full Version : S7 spindel

DJ-76
10-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Have an 05 smackdown was talking to my parts guy about getting them and he told me just buy them and put them on, no changing uppers or lowers. Anyone that has done this update please let me know what to do if this is not the case. Thanks for the help.

Matt49
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Have an 05 smackdown was talking to my parts guy about getting them and he told me just buy them and put them on, no changing uppers or lowers. Anyone that has done this update please let me know what to do if this is not the case. Thanks for the help.

No no no.
The S7 front suspension is more than just changing the spindles.
The left side control arms and tie rod are the same but that's about it.
The right side control arms and tie rod are different.
Ride heights are also changed to 3 1/2 inches both sides instead of the old numbers.

DJ-76
10-15-2012, 02:35 PM
could specify the right side upper and lower numbers as well as the tie rod. pm me if you would like thanks man (i didn't think thats all there was to it)

Matt49
10-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Should be 8-1/4 upper and 18-5/8 lower

Ramsey22
10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I had to go to a 10 inch spring on my left front shock. but drop front ride heights to 3 1/2

01_4_life
11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Do those 18 5/8 lowers have a drop from hook up points or just shock drop? Whats the reason for the lowered ride heights. Is it in the s7 spindel ?

Matt49
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Do those 18 5/8 lowers have a drop from hook up points or just shock drop? Whats the reason for the lowered ride heights. Is it in the s7 spindel ?

The RF lower on the S7 is designed so that the shock mount is lower to allow for more travel. The bolt goes through the control arm rather than having a shock mount on top of it.
The ride height changes are because the spindle is completely different. The snout is lower on the spindle.

01_4_life
11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Matt for clearing that up for me. Just putting all the pieces together.

hot rock
11-05-2012, 07:01 AM
will s7 spindles have less drive or forward traction than smack spindals in same track situation

Matt49
11-05-2012, 08:15 AM
will s7 spindles have less drive or forward traction than smack spindals in same track situation

We never noticed a difference in drive or traction. We did find that the car was more driveable from the center of the corner off. It seems to be much more responsive to steering input in either direction with the S7 deal. With the old stuff it always seemed like if the car as in the corner just right, I was hustling it coming off but with the S7 I can "correct" more in the center and on exit for what may have been a less than perfect entry.

01_4_life
11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
We never noticed a difference in drive or traction. We did find that the car was more driveable from the center of the corner off. It seems to be much more responsive to steering input in either direction with the S7 deal. With the old stuff it always seemed like if the car as in the corner just right, I was hustling it coming off but with the S7 I can "correct" more in the center and on exit for what may have been a less than perfect entry.
I'm sold on them, Gotta get me a set !!!!! Thanks Matt

Wsharp26
11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Ok this may be a stupid question but my smack came with a pile of spindles how do you visualy tell if you have a s7 spindle. I am converting it to one piece lowers and want to make sure i am puting together the right stuff

Ramsey22
11-06-2012, 12:11 PM
The S7 spindle has a really cool looking tag welded to the upright on the spindle saying "MasterSbilt"
The smack spindle has nothing on it

Also the S7 has more kingpin angle in it v.s. the smack. I'll never run another smackdown spindle

DJ-76
11-10-2012, 06:08 AM
How can you tell if they are aftermarket and not Mastersbilt? Can you still see the king pin change? Thanks for the help so far.

Wsharp26
11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
I was just getting ready to ask that also. I have a pile of spindles that are all aftermarket mostly sweet.

Ramsey22
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
How can you tell if they are aftermarket and not Mastersbilt? Can you still see the king pin change? Thanks for the help so far.

Most aftermarket spindles such as (sweet,twm,ppm,outpace) have a sticker on them. There is a way to determine whether it is a S7 or Smack with just a simple angle finder. You can use this method to check a spindle to see if its within manufacture specs.