PDA

View Full Version : shocks

dfhotlm33c
10-20-2012, 11:29 AM
We are considering upgrading some items on our car for next year. We are going to go with new low friction ball joints and some other items that should help suspension consistency..A few questions about shocks:

We currently run a mish mash of used shocks (Old Afco DA RF, Afco 3/5 rear, Pro 5 LF, Pro 4/0.5 LRB, Afco dummy LRF). Please provide an honest answer..if you have experience going from this type of shock package, and upgrading to top notch shocks, like say, Integras, what difference would one honestly expect? Is it truly as night and day of a difference as advertised? If our setup was decent, would a properly valved set of Integras make that much of a difference? Our engine is down on power compared to most, and our track slicks off quite a bit, so that power difference is minimized by feature time, but we still can't seem to muster past a 12th or 13th position finish. We don't have the cash for the engine we want to build yet, so we are looking for other ways to improve for next year.

On the note of budget..we certainly can't afford aluminum IDA's...so the comparison is this:
Would it be better to get steel monotube Integras valved correctly for our track and chassis and gain a few extra pounds at 320 dollars each, plus 30 or so for the coilover kit, or spend just a bit more and get new Afco T2 DA shocks for LR and RF at about 500 each, and 13T shocks for RR and LF at 200 each? Any opinions would be appreciated!

Matt49
10-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Having run both, I will tell you difference between mid-market brands (e.g. Afco, Pro, etc) and top-shelf brands (Ohlins, Integra, etc) is not necessarily night and day but your car will be better. More consistent, more driveable, more forgiving, etc.
BUT...the difference between buying shocks (regardless of brand) and just bolting them on your car versus getting a good shock guy to custom valve them for your car, setup, and track types IS night and day.
I would just about take an old set of Afcos that have been properly valved for my car and track over a set of off-the-shelf Ohlins.
And a good shock guy is also typically a good setup guy that is going to be willing to help you out with other parts of your program once you have established a good working relationship.

dfhotlm33c
10-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree with that assessment..the dilemma is that as a small (read "shoestring") budget team with little to no real relationships built up, I am very intimidated talking to someone who will likely tell us that we are wasting our time with our junk 11 year old chassis, outdated equipment and underpowered engine...

I realize there is no "magic fix"..I worked at Summit racing for 10 years as a salesman..it's amazing how many people believe all of the hype of 10 horsepower for this filter, and 20 hp for this and think they can make a 200 horsepower stock engine turn into a 500 horsepower screamer with spark plugs and air filters!! So, I get it! Just looking to see the most intelligent way to spend the money for improvement! Thanks!

Matt49
10-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I agree with that assessment..the dilemma is that as a small (read "shoestring") budget team with little to no real relationships built up, I am very intimidated talking to someone who will likely tell us that we are wasting our time with our junk 11 year old chassis, outdated equipment and underpowered engine...

I realize there is no "magic fix"..I worked at Summit racing for 10 years as a salesman..it's amazing how many people believe all of the hype of 10 horsepower for this filter, and 20 hp for this and think they can make a 200 horsepower stock engine turn into a 500 horsepower screamer with spark plugs and air filters!! So, I get it! Just looking to see the most intelligent way to spend the money for improvement! Thanks!

I can understand that. You definitely want to do business with people that understand you are on a budget. Not everybody gets that. Honestly, for what you are trying to do, the Afco T2s may be a good place to start. Just continue to upgrade as the budget makes it possible.

sj valley dave
10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
On our OLD GRT chassis we had AFCO twin tubes and bought a set of used Penske's from Scott James at a good price a couple of years ago. Sent them to his shock guy to have them gone through and what a difference!!Dry slicks they were more consistent, but on the rough/heavy stuff, night and day. When the twin tubes got hot and the oil thinned, the car would pogo stick after a handful of laps and he never knew where it was going...With the Penske's the car was solid and did the same thing over and over...One of the best investments we made...

derricklong38
10-21-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree with dave, I went from Twin Tube afco's to Ohlins that I had valved (got a heck of a deal). The car seemed to be a bit more consistant in the dry, but it was the rough where they shined. I know alot of guys winning on the Afco Silver Series stuff also. But what ever you buy, go through a shock builder, and have them valved to your car, thats what makes it worth while.

taterur
10-21-2012, 11:37 AM
we have the afco silvers by evny susp. 18 races for $1500.

dfhotlm33c
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
So, does anyone know of a shock guy in the NE Ohio/W Pa area? Or, should I contact one of the shops recommended here, give them my setup and track information, and they ship me out a set of shocks valved to work? It sounds like the way to go is to have someone set up a shock package instead of guessing what valving works and throwing a set of expensive shocks on the car without knowing what works...It also seems like 1500 is a common number for a set of ready to go shocks, is that about right?

FF21
10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Call Kenny Smith at B&O Shocks.He understands the man on a budget.He also is a afco dealer.He ships shocks to guys everywhere.Around here in nc alot of guys use his afco silvers.He has those things figured out.336-789-6365