PDA

View Full Version : Left rear birdcage indexing

modman1010
10-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Would too much left rear birdcage indexing actually hurt forward drive? I feel like the left rear really never moves and kinda lacks left rear drive in the slick. Car is bad fast early on just needs help when track shines off. What's a good starting point on indexing at ride height?

MM90
10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Everything I have read and heard from other drivers is that at ride height your birdcages should be straight up and down (0 degree)

TeamGRT12x
10-23-2012, 01:13 AM
1-2* Into the spring. You can always roll more into the spring at the track if you need to. It'll help with drive without making the car tight.

MM90
10-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Just looked at my setup sheet. They recommend the LR 2-1/2 degrees and the RR at 1/2 degree forward.

oldtrackchamp4x
10-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Run my car straight up on the tack. Run LR 1.5 deg. and the RR .5 deg., both into the spring, on the slick. Works for me. JMO

Mod77L
10-29-2012, 09:23 AM
When making an indexing adjustment at the track, is it the angle of the birdcage or the decreased/increased length of the upper/lower bar that is making the difference? Are you guys adjusting both bars to keep the axle in the same position, or is it moving the left side of the rear axle forward/backwards that is making the adjustment work?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the difference between 1 deg into the spring and 5 degrees, other than possibly the bar length. I suppose there is a "leverage preload" of sorts if the top mounting hole is already headed downwards... I guess that means that the spring will load more quickly, but then isn't that a main function of bar length? Just thinking out loud here.

TeamGRT12x
10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
When you are "into" the spring say, 5 degrees versus being at 0, you will get "into" the spring more as the car rolls. This creates more traction at that tire. It can be overdone though. The bar lengths have very little to do with it when you're indexing. It's pretty easy to do on paper if you want to check it out for yourself. Sometimes I prefer indexing into the LR spring versus raising the upper link for forward traction.