PDA

View Full Version : Grt too tight in corners

Rocket 1
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I have an 04 grt car is way too tight in middle and exit tried every change with bars that suppose to loosen but no luck,have 550lf 325rf 225 lr 225 rr,integra gas shocks all bars in nuetral setting,tried raising top right bar but no change i need some suggestions please. ps,car has a ton of lr bite,i have 130lbs of bite in it currently,thanks

sj valley dave
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
When we take our GRT to a really heavy, hooked up track, ie: Petaluma, we will flatten J Bar to 4" of rake, LRU 5 holes up, LRL 3 holes up, RRU 6 holes up, RRL 3 holes up, 65 lbs of bite, 500 lbs/400 lbs front springs, 225/225 rear and the car is fast, go anywhere and will qualify with a couple of tenths off TR...All the swing arm guys just shake their head...

dualdj1
10-23-2012, 01:01 PM
think Dave's suggestions are good. going up on pinion with j-bar will decrease roll as well as taking traction away.

if those don't work, then have to look at dropping rear weight (less fuel, etc) or adding weight to front, or more stagger.

is it just on gas, or is it pushing before you even get into it?

Rocket 1
10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
actually my j bar is already raised to middle of pinion,and its all throttle push , maybe i have too much gas pressure in left rear,150 lbs in both left rear behind and front traction shock what do you think.

dfhotlm33c
10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Try dropping pinion on frame a notch, and taking 30 or so pounds of LR bite out and see if it helps. Prob better to make one change at a time to see which one actually helps. Check your tire temps when you get off the track and see which tire is hotter. If the RR is hotter you are probably getting too much bite on RR in middle. So drop the j-bar on frame and maybe move some ballast from up high Right to low left. If the LR is hotter, than you might just have too much LR drive. Take out bite, reduce gas pressure on traction shock, or increase rebound on LRB shock to slow that down...just ideas

sj valley dave
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Raise the j bar on the pinion to the top and lower a hole on frame..We run LR shock behind axle only and with Penske's we only run 40 lbs on LR, soft on compression and tighten up rebound...you don't want the LR jacked up hard...keep the car flatter..., 50 lbs LF and then 100 lbs RF and 75-100 lbs on RR on these heavy tracks

TUFFY
10-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Make sure your RF isnt bottoming out.... JMO

grt74
10-23-2012, 10:08 PM
things that come to mind to me stagger or take some lf spring out,i would rather make it a little better going in and leave the drive coming off the corner in,55o lf is alot if its not really slick

dualdj1
10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
yeah that's a lot of gas pressure for early on, it'll make that LR hike up and car roll over. as the others said, keep it flatter and will keep you freed up a little better. I'd maybe try 75lbs and see how that does for you, if it helps you can go down as low as 30 if you needed, but i'd probably stay at min 50. if you have a gas RF/RR, you can also raise pressure on them some. I usually start at 100.

If you don't want to try going up more on the pinion, since you're in middle (is ok to try the top if you'd like), then just go down on the frame side. I would try the shocks and j-bar changes, before messing much with bite, etc. Other shock things that i've found to help (depending on your package) is adding rebound to front/lr shocks, taking rebound out of RR.

FlatTire
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm assuming I am understanding this correctly.....you have two shocks on the LR, one in front and one behind the axle.

The only time I run a shock in front & behind on the left rear is when I'm on a real slick track and struggling to get traction. And sometimes
even then its tough to keep the car on the bottom of the racetrack. It always makes it tight from the middle onward until the rear end
develops enough rollsteer to turn the car. I never really liked it in traffic either.

I've also been throttle tight in the middle on out on a heavy track and saw good results when I lengthened the left rear bottom bar 1"-2".
Doing this would slow down the rate of bar angle increase so you could get thru the corner and get your nose pointed where it needed to be
before developing a bunch of bar angle that put LR drive in the car.

Wasn't sure what type of surface you were on?

FlatTire
10-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Here's one more thing to think about that Kevin Shaw told me.......as the track slicks off thru the course of the evening to the point you have a couple feet of moisture on the bottom for the
left side tires and you've got slicker/drier dirt for the right side tires, the LR will be the dominant tire and make the most traction. You will push every time you apply throttle. I fought this issue
for a few weeks before I called up Kevin and he explained to me what was happening. He said as a driver when you get into that situation, just move the car up the race track a foot or so into a
little drier track until it steers like it should. Sometimes when you are out there its hard to tell what the surface exactly looks like and as a driver you don't always think right!

Let us know how it goes for you next time out.

jason29a
10-27-2012, 01:50 PM
SJ Dave,

For those that have never been out to California to race, especially at a place like Petaluma, they may not know what you mean by hooked up.

Alot of times I hear back east.... boy this track is hooked up, or its starting to get rough and I always think about Petaluma or Chico and think no its not.

sj valley dave
10-28-2012, 02:06 AM
LOL I think you are right, the small changes they are discussing wouldn't do much good at Petaluma...I think the closest thing they have might be West Memphis..I heard that can get real heavy and hooked up...I know what can make a 4 bar GRT work in the real heavy, natural black gumbo...