PDA

View Full Version : Head and Neck Restraints?

fast_crew
10-26-2012, 12:02 PM
What are some of you guys using and could you give some info, likes or dislikes of each you have tried. Mobility, ease of install and removal, bulkyness. We are looking into upgrading from what we use now (Hutchins). Driver has whiplash from a mild head on collision with a spinning car. Have been doing some research on the Necksgen, Hans, Isaac, and Simpons Hybrid systems, lots to choose from but would like to get some real world feedback. Thanks

zeke23z
10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I use a Hans and love it.Although first couple times i hated it,just takes a little time to get used too it.Will never get in another car without one and a full containment seat.They should be mandatory!

FlatTire
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Several years ago, there was a published report that tested the Hans, Hutchens, and one of Simpson's devices. The Hans won hands down in frontal impacts, but
didn't do as well in side to side impacts. Much has changed since then, but you might get on SAE's website and do a search thru their engineering test reports. They are very
informational and worth the money. Takes all the marketing b.s. out of it.

AmickRacing
10-26-2012, 04:59 PM
I ran the DeFender for a couple years.

It was a pretty decent setup, and reasonably priced. I did like the fact that the unit has the long bars that go down your chest, helps spread out the load of the seat belts across your chest.
Took a bit of tinkering to get the helmet straps adjusted properly, but it worked pretty good, I didn't really have much problem moving my head with one exception.

The bars that run down your chest have the raised part (that kind of holds the belts down), between having a huge head, long helmet and a short neck the bottom of my helmet would get a bit tangled up in those bars sometimes when I looked around. Never bad enough to cause panic or any serious issues, just a comfort issue.

I'd love to try one of the new simpson units, a fellow racer had one and it looked pretty comfy.

hucktyson
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a simpson hybrid pro and you dont notice it once its on. I tryed a hans and it wasd absolutely horrible. I have a custom lajoie seat and the hans held my head way forward from where its comfortable and the hybrid doesnt. id recomend buying the hybrid from aaron the simpson guy so he can adjust everything for you at the track.

fast_crew
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info so far, still hoping to hear some more. Are you from the Pittsburgh PA area Huck? Wrecked occured at PPMS during the last BOSS wingless race.

dirtslinger4
10-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a necksgen and I don't have any complaints, been in a few minor wrecks and it worked good. To me it's pretty comfortable and reasonably priced. I'd recommend it to anybody looking one

hucktyson
10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info so far, still hoping to hear some more. Are you from the Pittsburgh PA area Huck? Wrecked occured at PPMS during the last BOSS wingless race.

Yes I'm from Pittsburgh , the Pennsylvania hole beater # 69 super late

fast_crew
10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Just recognized the name from Racestud, and figured may have been the same, who did you get your Hybrid from? Thanks Josh, crew member of the 7k 410 sprint.

hucktyson
10-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Aaron the guy who goes to the races with the Simpson trailer, we were parked next to him at eldora so I bought it there from him