PDA

View Full Version : help with 02 GRT front end

mignum
10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I have an 02 GRT and they said it came out with the wide front end with a 15 5/8" left lower and a 19" right lower and the standard front is 16 5/8" left lower and a 17 5/8" right lower. Can someone tell me for sure what the wide front upper and lower lengths are and the standard narrow front lengths are? thanks!

sj valley dave
10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
The standard front end was 16 5/8" LF and 17 5/8" RF

papier
10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
We have a GRT with the wide front. We purchased it new in the fall of 02. It has 15 5/8 left lower, 19 right lower, 10 3/4 left upper mounted on inside and 8 1/4 right upper mounted on outside. The front ride heights are 3 5/8.

mignum
10-30-2012, 01:49 PM
thank you sir! thats the info i have been looking for, are you satisfied with the front end on the car you have?

papier
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Our driver really liked this car. When this car was new it was fast and consistent, not quite so fast any more too many laps on it. It worked great on fast and tacky or slick tracks. The car really responded well to chassis changes. Our car has what GRT back then called the "new style front end". The mounting points for the control arms are different than the standard front, that is why the ride heights are 3 5/8". It also takes a different rack to get correct bump steer. If I remember correctly, the crossmember is also different thats how you could tell if it had the new front. What is your chassis #. Ours is 2210. If it's close to that then it should be an 02.

hawk
11-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Our driver really liked this car. When this car was new it was fast and consistent, not quite so fast any more too many laps on it. It worked great on fast and tacky or slick tracks. The car really responded well to chassis changes. Our car has what GRT back then called the "new style front end". The mounting points for the control arms are different than the standard front, that is why the ride heights are 3 5/8". It also takes a different rack to get correct bump steer. If I remember correctly, the crossmember is also different thats how you could tell if it had the new front. What is your chassis #. Ours is 2210. If it's close to that then it should be an 02. how do you check to see if frame is not bent with a GRT? any reference points? i have chassis #1981 standard front.

papier
11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Hawk, Don't know the answer to your ?. I would call GRT. If we ever have a question they have always answered it for us.

mignum
11-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Our driver really liked this car. When this car was new it was fast and consistent, not quite so fast any more too many laps on it. It worked great on fast and tacky or slick tracks. The car really responded well to chassis changes. Our car has what GRT back then called the "new style front end". The mounting points for the control arms are different than the standard front, that is why the ride heights are 3 5/8". It also takes a different rack to get correct bump steer. If I remember correctly, the crossmember is also different thats how you could tell if it had the new front. What is your chassis #. Ours is 2210. If it's close to that then it should be an 02.
My chassis # is 2067 , when i bought my car the guy took the sweet rack off and put a appleton rack on, so what rack does it suppose to have on it?

billetbirdcage
11-11-2012, 11:01 PM
that front end takes a longer rack instead of the 19.25 it takes the 20" inch one, can't remember if it's 20.25 or 20.75" but its the only one in the 20" range they make mostly.

mignum
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
what points are you measuring?

papier
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
The rack on our car is 19" from center to center on inner tie rods.

papier
02-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Hey mignum,
I got your pm and tried to pm you but your message box is full. I measured our rack and it is 19.25 center to center and the inner mounts on the lower control arms are 19" apart. Maybe we have the wrong rack, but it is what we have had on the car since new and was supposed to be the correct one.
If it is wrong, we have won many features with this car. I checked our steering arm length on our spindles and they are 5.25" Sorry for the incorrect measurement on the last post. I had someone else measure that time.

mignum
02-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks thats what my front measures 19 on inner pivots and a 19 1/4 rack so that checks out but my steering arm lengths are 5 1/2 instead of 5 1/4 thats the difference I see, that puts me closer to figuring out this puzzle.

merc123
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
how do you check to see if frame is not bent with a GRT? any reference points? i have chassis #1981 standard front.

I believe but not for sure the motor mounts and 4-bar brackets are square. Call GRT though to verify. There is a way to check it.

You can get GRT's book too which tells you how to do it plus everything about a GRT.
http://astore.amazon.com/lawsraci-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=13

Click on Dirt Late Model Chassis Technology by Joe Garrison

merc123
02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Found it in the book.

"The front cross member and the rear 4-bar bracket are perpendicular to each other and square to the chassis. To check reference measurements for various points on the chassis install a plumb bob at the center of each inner pivot point on the corssmember, lower plumb bob to floor and mark. Draw a line between marks.

To determine if rear frame is bent measure from front cross member reference line to reference marks dropped from the 4-bar brackets on each side."