PDA

View Full Version : i cant figure out how to check my bump steer? help?

andy16
10-28-2012, 09:53 PM
black f/e rocket. twm spindles rocket 1piece lowers aplton rack. no spacers or shims yet. car on jkstands jack under control arm shock removed. i have spacers cut to my ride heights i put the spacer in there jack up susp till im at ride height. then set up indicator on plate single style. then move the susp in both directions 2''. the problem im having is on the lf when i drop the susp 2'' the camber of the plate is pushing the indicator in as it drops giving me a false reading of bump out... i think. how can u check the dynamic toe without camber giving u a false reading.

im trying to get it to bump out .050 on rf and as little as possible on lf. how do i get that? thanks alot

billetbirdcage
10-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Your bumpsteer gauge will be one of 2 ways:

Either a single indicator with a pivot arm or a dual indicator, if a dual indicator you add/subtract the difference in the readings on the 2 indicators. meaning when you move the wheel/plate up or down, if both indicators go the same direction (both dials turn CW or CCW) then you subtract to get the difference. If they go in opposite directions, then add together for the total toe change.

Hope that makes sense.

andy16
10-28-2012, 11:35 PM
yes that makes sense im following u on that. i have the single dial kind. i put it at the front of the plate in the middle. the indicator is on a stand that sits on floor, the plate is bolted to hub, i set it up w plenty of room for indicator to go each way. but looking at the plate from front of the car on lf the plate is angled 5* out at top. so when the plate moves down the indicator is pushed in from the plate being angled out more at top. so how do i tell how much the steering is moving left or right. i could get the r/f to read .050 out but the lf at 2'' drop was like .250 out wich seems excessive considering im trying to achieve no more than .050

andy16
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
ohh i see now the follower keeps the camber change from effecting the reading. i was reading it right just didn undertand what was goin on. thanks for the help i got the r/f good but the lf is gonna be work . come back to it another night thanks for the help

fastford
10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
i use a duel indicator bump guage, i set my rt front to bump out .040 @ 2 inches of compression, but that is .020 out at front of guage and .020 in @ rear of guage, thats a total of .040 out, my chassis had this built in if using a sweet rack but i prefer appleton so i had to go through the same thing you are i actualy had to cut about a qtr inch off the left spindle where the hindman from the tie rod bolts to gae 0 bump on lft frt, this taks some trial and error good luck