PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Storage

RACR_73s
10-29-2012, 04:55 PM
What does everybody do for winter storage? As of right now I do not have a heated area for them and if I do get a furnace this year there will not be much room for tires(maybe 7) unless I build more wall racks. I do have an unheated garage that has 20ft of storage rack. What is the best way to store in each situation? My main conceren is trying to keep my LM40's as fresh as possible, I have to buy them used in the off season. I was at a shop this weekend and he had his tires wrapped in plastic and I forgot to ask him why, so I will ask now, why?

~Thanks~

perfconn
10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Light both sunlight and artifical light and ozone from electric motors are the worst enemys of tires.

Matt49
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
From Hoosier's web site:

TIRE STORAGE
The useful life of a tire, whether mounted or dismounted, is directly affected by storage conditions. Tires should always be stored indoors in a dark, cool, dry room.

DO

1 Remove the tires from the vehicle.
2. Remove the air from the tires and store them on their side in a cool/dark/dry environment.
3. Place tires in a black plastic bag when stored during the "off-season".
4. Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

DON'T

1. Don't store tires in direct sunlight or near electric motors. (Electric motors emit small amounts of ozone.) Tires need to be protected from light, especially sunlight. Light causes ultraviolet damage by breaking down the rubber compounds. The storeroom should not contain electrical welding or any other equipment that could produce ozone.

2. Don't apply any chemical treatments to Hoosier tires. (It's not necessary and may actually damage the integrity of the tire by breaking down the rubber properties of the tire.) Tires must not be allowed to come in contact with oils, greases, solvents, or other petroleum products that cause rubber to soften or deteriorate.

3. Don't store tires in sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. (The rubber can freeze and may crack as a result.)

isaacoomber
10-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Tire studs consist of two primary parts. The tungsten carbide pin is the element that protrudes beyond the tire tread and contacts the pavement surface.

Waterton Winter Wonderland (http://www.waterton.ca/waterton-winter-wonderland.cfm)