PDA

View Full Version : 9" GN Hub Bearings?

dirttrackrocker
11-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Do you grease them or just let the gear oil lube them? I have had people say yes and people say no. With inner axle tube seals does enough gear oil get out to the hub bearings?

racinjj
11-06-2012, 01:17 PM
With the inner axle seals no oil should get out to the hubs so grease them.

AH55
11-10-2012, 08:20 AM
I run inner axle seals and you have to pack the bearings.

AH55
11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I run the Allstar inner axle seals. A very liitle bit of grease gets out to my hubs, but I wouldn't trust it to lube the bearings. I also went to the snout seals, which made packing the bearings essential...now no grease gets to the hubs. I was having a big problem blowing hub seals until I went to the snout seal. Could be I am overfilling the rearend as I pour grease in until it comes out of the fill plug...usually 4qts.

dirttrackrocker
11-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I was having a big problem blowing hub seals until I went to the snout seal. .

If you're blowing hub seals, make sure the vent isn't plugged.

LM14
11-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Be careful when buyng inner seals, they are not all the same. There are more than 1 axle diameter shaft and seals out there to fit each diameter. Ask what axle diameter they are for, not just what tube they fit. We never had a bit of oil in our hubs, inner seals and snout seals used. Packed rear hubs just like front wheel bearings.

SPark

AH55
11-11-2012, 07:37 PM
4 qts leaked badly for me even with axle seals in both sides, I put in 4qts when I ran a new 700 gear and it cost me badly when both rear brakes were coated with oil. I run synthetic rear lube, maybe thats part of why mine leaks so easily?

What is the snout seal your talking about Ive never seen those or heard of them. I run winters type hubs.
Yeah, I run cheap gear lube..but I may try running 3.5 qts this year. I run winters type hubs too. Its Winters part number 7271 on Speedways site. It presses into the end of the axle tube and then the axle slides through it making a pretty good seal...solved our problems.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk254/aholley55/8027271_L_157919d5.jpg

AH55
11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
If you're blowing hub seals, make sure the vent isn't plugged.
I've never even checked the vent on the rearend before...Now I will, lol. Thanks for the tip, Kevin.

racinjj
11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I use winters rearends with winters inner and outer seals, no oil gets out and I have 4quarts in it. You must be carefull when changing gears though, if you pull the axles before you drain the oil and the rearend isnt level it let the oil run into the tubes.

If you have oil coming out of you hubs your drive flange o-ring needs to be replaced.