PDA

View Full Version : Properly setting up an aux shaft/dizzy gear.

horsewidower
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I've stripped two shaft and gear combinations. I run an endurance road racing car with a 2300 Ford SOHC. We don't rev it past 6,500.

Does anyone one have a thrust spec for the shaft, how about specifications for play in the dizzy shaft?

Can someone give me an example as to how they set up their shaft and gear?

I need to get this car to be reliable, and this problem keeps reoccuring.

Thanks.

car62
11-13-2012, 09:59 PM
id check your auxiliary shaft bearings,and replace the oil pump

let-r-eat
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
You can use gear paste and set the mesh just like a rear. You can adjust by machining distributor/block/guide plate . If I were that worried I'd buy the billet stuff and forget it.Roller cam or solid? You have a bronze gear or standard? Have you installed the 3/16 roll pin?

84Dave
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
With the distributor completely installed & clamped down, make certain you have some up & down vertical play in the distributor shaft. I used to shim the shaft/gear for about .020" 'end play' on my 2.0L's. Then also make certain the oil pump drive shaft is not 'bottoming out' when you clamp down the distributor. If it is, the drive assembly/gears on the distributor/aux-shaft take a severe beating. Then also obviously, a gentle twisting back-forth of the distributor shaft at the top will tell you if the gears are bound up.
-84Dave-