PDA

View Full Version : Setup help- Factory Stock

fourgsixthree33a
11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
81' Pontiac Firebird
1/4 Mile Dirt Oval

I race in the Factory Stock division. I ran the last two races of the season this year. The car has been garage kept for 20 years with cage. I ran into a few problems with the handling. The car handles extremely well and was set up by the car owner (I'm the driver) who has ran dirt late models within the last 10 years.

He applied everything he learned from the late models into this factory stock. For example, the RF spring is softer than the left front. He has scales and all the weight ballast's are where they need to be. The weight is pretty much perfect.

First thing I noticed when driving the car, the car pushed very bad the instant I touched the brake pedal. Prior to racing the Factory Stock division, I ran IMCA Modifieds for a couple of years. When I touch the brake pedal in IMCA, the car turns. I drive in really hard and use a lot of brakes unlike how other people back down the corner and use little to no brakes at all.

I gained 3-4 car lengths on the guys in front of me each lap IN THE CORNER. Especially entering, and I was able to carry the speed all the way through the entire corner. I didn't go in hard enough for me to wash up the track, I stayed in the line I was racing in. But, I couldn't get on the throttle as much as I wanted because when I hit the brake, the car pushed. I eventually started doing the "whip" entering into the corner which helped me get sideways entering.

I want to be able to drive straight, hit the brakes, and the car to get sideways. So I am trying to figure out how to help the car to get sideways. Were there ANY 79-81 firebirds/camaros that came with rear disc brakes FROM THE FACTORY? My tracks rules say you have to use whatever came with that year car. If there was a package or maybe the SS that came with rear disc brakes, and I can prove it, that would greatly help. I could easily put rear disc brakes on it but that wouldn't be legal.

If not, I can think of another option. I know there are bigger front calipers available for the metric chassis. They aren't necessarily legal, but they visually don't look any different than stock front calipers. If I put one of these bigger ones on the left front, that might help.

Shutoffs and brake adjust valves are not legal.

The other thing I had to overcome was my RF bouncing in the corners. It is a real rough track. With the softer RF spring, that made the car bounce. I don't know the exact spring rates, but I am thinking a stiffer RF spring or maybe a shock with a stiffer rebound. The car only bounced when I had a really good corner and started whipping the car in. So I was carrying more speed in the corners and the car began bouncing.

Anyways, thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc are much welcome. Thanks!

Link to my tracks rules http://www.dunnhill2speedway.com/files/factory_stock_rules_2011.html

dirtman45
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
What you want is to get your LF to brake harder than your RF... easy. Take out your RF pads and cut notches in them with a 4 1/2" grinder with a 1/4 abrasive disc. Cut 3 notches on each pad so that the notches match the other pad. Make them up and down but not all the way to the top. They will look 100% normal when viewed from the top. If 3 isn't enough, and it may not be, put in 2 more so you have 5 total on each pad. This will make it swing out for you.

fourgsixthree33a
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Any pics of this done to the pads? I think I understand but just want to make sure.

What about also putting a restrictor in the RF brake line? Would this make any difference?

racer69
11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Restrictors have a habit of not releasing. Bad idea! Grinding the pads is an old trick. Basically yr making less area of pad to touch the rotor.

DaveBauerSS6
11-15-2012, 11:32 PM
81' Pontiac Firebird
1/4 Mile Dirt Oval

I race in the Factory Stock division. I ran the last two races of the season this year. The car has been garage kept for 20 years with cage. I ran into a few problems with the handling. The car handles extremely well and was set up by the car owner (I'm the driver) who has ran dirt late models within the last 10 years.

He applied everything he learned from the late models into this factory stock. For example, the RF spring is softer than the left front. He has scales and all the weight ballast's are where they need to be. The weight is pretty much perfect.

First thing I noticed when driving the car, the car pushed very bad the instant I touched the brake pedal. Prior to racing the Factory Stock division, I ran IMCA Modifieds for a couple of years. When I touch the brake pedal in IMCA, the car turns. I drive in really hard and use a lot of brakes unlike how other people back down the corner and use little to no brakes at all.

I gained 3-4 car lengths on the guys in front of me each lap IN THE CORNER. Especially entering, and I was able to carry the speed all the way through the entire corner. I didn't go in hard enough for me to wash up the track, I stayed in the line I was racing in. But, I couldn't get on the throttle as much as I wanted because when I hit the brake, the car pushed. I eventually started doing the "whip" entering into the corner which helped me get sideways entering.

I want to be able to drive straight, hit the brakes, and the car to get sideways. So I am trying to figure out how to help the car to get sideways. Were there ANY 79-81 firebirds/camaros that came with rear disc brakes FROM THE FACTORY? My tracks rules say you have to use whatever came with that year car. If there was a package or maybe the SS that came with rear disc brakes, and I can prove it, that would greatly help. I could easily put rear disc brakes on it but that wouldn't be legal.

If not, I can think of another option. I know there are bigger front calipers available for the metric chassis. They aren't necessarily legal, but they visually don't look any different than stock front calipers. If I put one of these bigger ones on the left front, that might help.

Shutoffs and brake adjust valves are not legal.

The other thing I had to overcome was my RF bouncing in the corners. It is a real rough track. With the softer RF spring, that made the car bounce. I don't know the exact spring rates, but I am thinking a stiffer RF spring or maybe a shock with a stiffer rebound. The car only bounced when I had a really good corner and started whipping the car in. So I was carrying more speed in the corners and the car began bouncing.

Anyways, thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc are much welcome. Thanks!

Link to my tracks rules http://www.dunnhill2speedway.com/files/factory_stock_rules_2011.html

A RF thats bouncing will create a push. Sounds like the car is cornering well without the brakes. The front springs must be close. I would stiffen the RF shock and try to cure the bounce. Make sure you are not bottoming out the RF.

If this car has been setting long, I would trash both front calipers. They will stick and that could be the push. The suggestion is right on the RF brake pads. I take the pad and connect the dots. I get a stock set that are riveted. Grind out all the area in the center of the rivets on both pads.. This leaves a wearable full pattern and minimal braking surface. Buy racing pads for the LF for more help. I would readjust the rear shoes to help it turn.