PDA

View Full Version : Shock settings.

7uptruckracer
11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
I have a pair of Double Adjustable shocks I have my chassis sheets and it tells me to run certain valvings in certain places thats not the part I have trouble with. I keep seeing people tell me to take my shocks and get them valved for a certain chassis? What are they changing in my shock? Pistons for a different curve or what? I thought I bought double adjustable for that reason?

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I have a pair of Double Adjustable shocks I have my chassis sheets and it tells me to run certain valvings in certain places thats not the part I have trouble with. I keep seeing people tell me to take my shocks and get them valved for a certain chassis? What are they changing in my shock? Pistons for a different curve or what? I thought I bought double adjustable for that reason?

If you have an off the shelf shock, you may need to adjust it all the way in one direction to get to the baseline for your chassis. Or worse yet, you may not even be able to get there.

There are a lot of things people can/will do. Pistons from another brand, replace hoses on canister shocks, etc. You can have two shocks that are rated the same but have different high frequency responses.

Matt49
11-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Good answer by MBRacer as always but I would add that the number on your shock setting (2-7 or whatever) is just that...a number. All that you know for sure is that 7 is stiffer than 6, 6 is stiffer than 5, etc. You don't know what the true rates are for any given number and you don't know how the high-speed relates to the low-speed rates which is just as important as the rate itself.
Getting the correct digressive valving curve for each corner of the car and for your type of race car is just as important as having the correct total amount of dampening.

7uptruckracer
11-16-2012, 06:59 AM
I knew all that was just wondering how different it actually is between chassis as well.....