PDA

View Full Version : Is it Driving Technique or Set up??

dirtbandit
11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Watched some videos of the USMTS race in Texas last weekend on youtube. I noticed that the top runners cars never set down any on corner entry even in the slick. Is it something they are doing with their driving or is a combination of shocks, springs and the use of a brake floater on the left rear?

charcoal01
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
I know its a BS answer, but both. It takes the right setup for it to work and they are trail braking the car into the corner.

dirtbandit
11-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I was guessing, high pressure lr shock, high rebound rf shock along with a soft spring and a brake floater with a lot of angle along with the trailbraking.

dirty white boy
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I know its a BS answer, but both. It takes the right setup for it to work and they are trail braking the car into the corner.

trail brakeing!

dirtbandit
11-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Trail braking alome or tail braking with a brake floater?

charcoal01
11-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Trail braking with a brake floater.

washeduptoo
11-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Most of those cars are on the lift arm set up with a brake bisuit also and they're good.

midwestmodracer
11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
don't put too much emphasis on the brake floater. Most of the lift bar cars don't have a left rear brake floater. It is much more a matter of just trail braking, and having the car right so that you aren't having to jab the brakes anywhere in the corner to make it turn. With the way many of the guys are backing up the corner now, you will often never notice their cars trying to sit down on the left rear in the corner. Again, careful on the assumption that they're all on brake floaters on the left rear.

TeamGRT12x
11-23-2012, 02:50 PM
9 out of 10 are on brake floaters up front.

bluemod
11-23-2012, 06:51 PM
what are the pros about having a brake floater. Ive never ran one but i run a big half mile track. How would a floater help ?

TeamGRT12x
11-23-2012, 06:55 PM
A brake floater will not be a make or break deal. I've never thought I was beat by a car, and the only reason I was beat was a brake floater.

dirtbandit
11-23-2012, 10:41 PM
With the way many of the guys are backing up the corner now, you will often never notice their cars trying to sit down on the left rear in the corner.

Please explain what you mean by backing up the corner......

Confused?
11-24-2012, 02:58 PM
The Hughes cars do not come with brake floaters. Skyrockets do.

One of the best drivers, right now, drives his like a go kart. Always on the throttle and uses the brakes to "set" the car. He is barely out of the throttle. He goes through several sets of pads and rotors each year.

The biggest influence is the driving style. How a driver enters the corner affects the cars attitude throughout the entire corner. If he/she arcs the car in, it will stay rolled over. If they drive in flat and yank it to the left, the car won't want to roll over very well.

The tie-down shocks on the RF, soft springs, and really stiff LR shocks also play into the overall attitude of the car during cornering.

oldtrackchamp4x
11-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Backing up the corner is SLOWLY rolling out of the throttle while applying a little brake several car lengths before you normally would when entering the corner, enabling you to start getting on the throttle as soon as you get into the corner. Not that good at it yet, but when i do it right it works really well. Especially on the dry slick. JMO

midwestmodracer
11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Ryan Gustin is the master of "backing up the corner". Many others are getting better at it, but he does it better than anyone else in a mod at this point. Kelly Shryock even commented on that a couple of years back in an interview.

For some people the brake floater on the left rear helps get the car to turn on entry. For others (who are often trail braking later into the corner, and often on the brakes still as they roll back into the throttle) the brake floater can make the car tight on throttle in the middle of the corner. It is really a try it and see if you like it kind of thing. However, it is by no stretch of the imagination something that every good car has on it, or every good driver prefers. You can pick one up for $150, so it really isn't anything all that difficult to test and see if you like it. I will note however that no combination of brake floater and functional LR shock will keep the car up and loaded if the driver isn't doing his part.

let-r-eat
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Read Donnie Moran's driving book. Maybe when Bloomquist retires he will write one.Do you ever notice that he never talks about how to drive the race car? He knows that this is 95% of the deal and the rest is just marketing hype that makes somebody money.

tworrick
12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
does anyone know what kind of brake bias is used for trail braking? more towards fron or rear? and also does it take a very agressive pad in order to make it work? I have relized in todays modified you have to keep them hooked up at all times. no longer can you drive in and let off the gas. if you your getting passed.