PDA

View Full Version : uppers and lowers

dfhotlm33c
11-22-2012, 10:25 AM
So, it is nearly impossible to get in contact with the builder of our chassis. And I am pretty sure the previous owner just put random stuff on the car. WE got one recommendation for lengths of uppers and lowers from a guy that has the same car, but haven't been able to get in touch with him since to clarify if these specs match with the spindle heights we have, etc.

Car had :
LFU 10.5" inside
LFL: 15"
RFU: 10" outside
RFL: 16 5/8"

The recommendation:
LFU: 10.5" inside
LFL: 16 5/8"
RFU: 8.75" outside
RFL: 18 5/8"

I am wary of purchasing these, as it seems it would be very difficult to get our camber correct with such major length differences over what is currently there. We were able to get correct static camber with the lengths on the car, so it seems to me such a drastic difference would cause issues. I would like to go with the actual recommendations, and considering they are wider, I anticipate a slightly more stable car would result.
Our spindles are 8.5" tall (top to bottom), and seem to be 8* (They measured 7.8* when laid on their face and I laid my digital angle finder on them).

This is supposed to a Mastersbilt copy. I was wondering if anyone knew the measurement between the upper control arm uprights, and the lower control arm mounting points on a Mastersbilt frame of the same vintage (2002). If they match ours, could I use the setup sheets from a wide/combo car to get us started? Or should I just put what was on the car back on it? I am adept at measuring roll center, but I know static roll center is not an exact science, and I would not know what would be "right" for our car, so I would like to go with a baseline!

Sorry for the length for such a seemingly simple topic, just want to get the car right for next year.