PDA

View Full Version : buying Brinn

dfhotlm33c
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Gonna go with a Brinn transmission. How wary should I be of buying used? They are 1700 new, and I see people selling used Brinns for around 800. They claim "one season", or a low number of nights. Just curious what I should be aware of if buying used, what to look for, and if it's a good idea, or should I just shell out the money for new?

4bangerhotrod
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
if i was a weekly racer i would buy used, there's really not much to go wrong on one. if its a under a couple yrs old the clutch's are really the only thing that should have much wear on them and its pretty cheap to replace them and you can do it yourself pretty easily. other than clutch's check for play on the shafts. even if it needs rebuilt the bearings seals and clutch would be all that needs replaced, im not sure how much they are for a brinn but it shouldnt be over a couple hundred dollars. theres usually not much that goes wrong with any internal gears or shafts so as long as its not to old i would buy used unless you've just got to much money and want to blow it.

racin6mod
11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
any time you buy a used trany take a set of wrenches and pull the side cover off as long as the gears are in good condition the rest is an easy fix. the brinn is the top trany and will hold it's resale value better than the rest.

also if the seller wont let you remove the side cover go on down the road to the next one.it's like buying a used carb. they can be rebuilt but if you can't pull the bowls thats your sign.

merc123
11-24-2012, 08:29 AM
You can buy the rebuild kit online for under $300:

Brinn Rebuild Kit #70041 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TPJ3OC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003TPJ3OC&linkCode=as2&tag=lawsraci-20)

powerslide
11-24-2012, 02:04 PM
I paid 1000 for mine 4years ago i fought trans issues for a year before i finally bit the bullet. Wish i would of done it sooner. Still on same set of clutches it came with. If you don't replace clutches when u buy it make sure you ask what type of fluid motor oil or type f they were using. People were having problems switching and burning up clutches in a couple nights. Moral of the story don't think you can go wrong w/ a brinn. I ran mine w/ a stock bellhousing for a year before I got the reverse mount setup