PDA

View Full Version : SB2 in a super late?

fastlane99
11-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Anyone ever run one of these in a super late? Advantages? Disadvantages? I have access to one, but wasn't sure how they would do. Dyno sheet shows 680hp. We run small tracks that slick off....any advice appreciated.

ga racer
11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
you must be new to slm racing , guys have ran them for years.

powerslide
11-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Also those numbers sound pretty low for an sb2. How many ci is it?

fastlane99
11-25-2012, 02:53 PM
358 I believe. What should the power numbers be?

powerslide
11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
We had a 410sb2 and it was around 800. I guess we don't race dynos though so if it runs good wouldn't worry too much.

sj valley dave
11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Our 422" SB2.2 is 810 hp...SB2.2's have ben out there for years as one previous poster commented. 680 hp is low for a 358"...There was a 358" right at 770 hp that ran around here for a few years...That was on a conservative dyno...You had to twist it though...I think they used a 9,000-9,200 chip...We keep ours to 8,400...

fastlane99
11-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I was mistaken....730 hp on dyno in the spring.

andy16
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
680 sounds like a chassis dyno number thats close to what mine chassis dynod at. i have a 358 and its my best motor. the thing is they are low maint. and will run forever i reccomend it to somebody who cant afford a 30000 engine w 6000 freshen costs. just remember to turn it. it doesn like 6500 to 7500 the power comes in too fast at the top end of that and is hard to drive. keep it turnin like 78 to 88 and itll be great at least mine is. good luck and mine is for sale or trade for fresh 604

powerslide
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I was mistaken....730 hp on dyno in the spring.

They have different part numbers some were for the restrictor plate races and some were for for road courses or short tracks. Obviously the DLM crowd would be looking for the road course and short track versions but I cant help you with the part numbers. Maybe someone else could, perfconn may know. If you have access to it i would for sure give it a try.

hucktyson
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
680 sounds like a chassis dyno number thats close to what mine chassis dynod at. i have a 358 and its my best motor. the thing is they are low maint. and will run forever i reccomend it to somebody who cant afford a 30000 engine w 6000 freshen costs. just remember to turn it. it doesn like 6500 to 7500 the power comes in too fast at the top end of that and is hard to drive. keep it turnin like 78 to 88 and itll be great at least mine is. good luck and mine is for sale or trade for fresh 604

how do you say a motor being turning 8800 is low maintainance ??? why wouldnt a 13 degree motor with nice straight pushrods instead of crazy angles that can be turned 8 k and run great not be less maintainance ???

sj valley dave
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I think he means if you build with correct geometry, they are no more maintenance than any other big HP engine. I run our valves after every race and they never change, unless due to the ambiant air temp..LOL That's with .180 off lifters on intake side only...3/8" CV Products pushrods...T&D shafts..If you put a set of 13* heads on a 360" engine, you'd better be prepared to turn it more than 8,000 if you want to make power, btw...IMO

andy16
11-26-2012, 10:13 PM
sorry i meant low maint for the money. meaning short stroke w steel block x nascar piece evrything is built to get its a$$ kicked all day long the valvetrain is great and well thought out no big offsets if using a sb2 block room for great big pushrods the blocks aren moving around as much as alluminum blocks. i set the lash in begining of year and check it evry week but never have to move them. i rev it w confidence i would be worried about a 430 cid aluminum block turning 88 for 20 races straight. i dont have to worry about it over reving because it cant iv turnrd it 92 before for 30 laps springs are fine lash is fine. find me a 13 degree motor for less than ten grand w billet rods crank pistons and 1/2 pushrods .930 lifters 55mm cam polished block w billet caps. i meant there are alot of em out there for cheap that will give you decades of performance at 8800rpms that in my area i wouldn be able to afford. im 100% positive if i gave clements 40,000 i would have any piece just as reliable. i even prefer the 13 or 9 degree motors but for me too expensive for one that will compare to the value of some sb2's out there.

racin6mod
11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I know a guy that has 5 sb2's for sale ranging from a arca engine complete a few from rcr complete w/ drysump pumps and msd dist. 10,000 and 12,000 for the rcr motor one is a earnhart engine from the old shop.

rickybobby23
11-29-2012, 11:10 AM
So if the motor has 730 at the crank, about what would there be at the rear wheels? What I'm asking is what's the normal power loss through drivetrain on a late model?

sj valley dave
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
If I remember correct, I think Bill Hendren posted a couple of years ago that with a Brinn and a QC he saw 19% through the drive train. I think he said 17% with a 9" Ford...If Steve ever gets on here anymore, he might verify...

fastlane99
11-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Sounds like I better pass if the motor is that underpowered from other sb2s. Thanks for the info guys.

dirty white boy
11-30-2012, 02:47 PM
If I remember correct, I think Bill Hendren posted a couple of years ago that with a Brinn and a QC he saw 19% through the drive train. I think he said 17% with a 9" Ford...If Steve ever gets on here anymore, he might verify...

you can catch steve on his facebook page bout daily!!

andy16
11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
according to that info it has about 590 hp that is a little low but its not an exact science. comparing dyno to dyno is tough and honestly i never believe any numbers i hear until i can see the dyno info myself there are things people do to make the numbers better. what was the ambient air when engine was dyno what was the water grains in air was the motor fresh when dynoed alot of variables in there. what was the dyno "smoothing" set too? id take a motor that was truly dynoed a little low on power over a motor being "claimed" to have x amount of power just my two cent, plus if its a good deal why not. 590 will win races.

fastlane99
11-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Not sure if it is a good deal or not....motor has 8-10 nights since freshened. 7500 with everything but pulleys, headers, and oil lines. Plus it will need freshened I would think within another 10 or so races.

andy16
11-30-2012, 11:39 PM
id say thats about what its worth? not really a great deal but not a bad deal either unless the motor has a issue. decisions lol

let-r-eat
12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Not sure if it is a good deal or not....motor has 8-10 nights since freshened. 7500 with everything but pulleys, headers, and oil lines. Plus it will need freshened I would think within another 10 or so races.You have to stay with the 360 inch limit or are you just looking for a good powerplant? Steel block OK?

fastlane99
12-01-2012, 02:27 PM
You have to stay with the 360 inch limit or are you just looking for a good powerplant? Steel block OK?

Don't have to stay within the 360 ci. Looking for a good dependable motor to get started in the slm class with.

powerslide
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Don't have to stay within the 360 ci. Looking for a good dependable motor to get started in the slm class with.

If it has good pieces in it I would say that should be a reliable motor. But some guys can tear up an anvil. Use it until you are ready for more power or bottomend needs replaced and get more cubes at that point

let-r-eat
12-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Don't have to stay within the 360 ci. Looking for a good dependable motor to get started in the slm class with.I'd say that engine would be just fine for starting out. Don't get wrapped up in HP numbers because most of these ridiculous HP #'s are false claims anyway. The ones that really do make the numbers hurt you more than helps most of the time. HP is good but you have to know what type of HP you want. I personally don't like SB2's in DLM.

DLM06
12-04-2012, 12:58 PM
590-600 at the rear wheels is very respectable. I have a 13 degree 430 that doesn't make much more than that on the chassis dyno and it will out drag race anybody off the corner. The only time I really need the HP/torque is when it's at a really hooked up track. Probably hurts more than helps when it's slick or dusty. I'd say a shorter stroke motor is probably way easier to drive on a slick track. When you get some experience swap out the crank and rods and get all the torque you need.

rickybobby23
12-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I personally don't like SB2's in DLM.

Why is this? Harder to drive due to higher peak power rpm range? I have access to an ex nationwide 358 sb2 but dont want to dive in if its not a good piece for dlm racing. What do you guys think?

perfconn
12-15-2012, 04:03 PM
If the cam hasn't been changed don't try running it on dirt.

let-r-eat
12-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Why is this? Harder to drive due to higher peak power rpm range? I have access to an ex nationwide 358 sb2 but dont want to dive in if its not a good piece for dlm racing. What do you guys think?An inline valve engine is much smoother. The PK torque rpm on most SB2 engines are too high for dirt racing. The worst thing on dirt is running an engine below peak torque when its build to make power past the peak. Thus the reason Perfconn said change cam first. I'm not saying they can't be competitive or anything like that and they don't make power because they do. Its just that valve arrangement loves rpms and hates not being rpm'd. Plus they are a little heavier top end. I'm in no way saying they can't be made to work.

F22 RAPTOR
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Anyone ever run one of these in a super late? Advantages? Disadvantages? I have access to one, but wasn't sure how they would do. Dyno sheet shows 680hp. We run small tracks that slick off....any advice appreciated.

Thats low HP. We had a 358 steel block with 18 deg heads that made 740 back in 99'. Matter of fact I still prefer the 18 deg stuff. JMO

ALF401
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Thats low HP. We had a 358 steel block with 18 deg heads that made 740 back in 99'. Matter of fact I still prefer the 18 deg stuff. JMO

How would 15 degree heads work compared to SB2's and then to 18 degree heads, this would be on a 421. I don't really want to know HP numbers but more about how a dlm would drive with each set of heads on this motor?

andy16
01-04-2013, 12:07 AM
i wish it were that easy. if each of the heads were the best they could be with the best combo possible it would be very close. im biased to the sb2's because theyve worked well for me. i never drove anything before and i started w sb2 stuff and id say it was as easy to drive as 18* or 23* although everything happens alot faster w the better motor. the lowest hp motor will def be the easiest to drive because your slower u dont have to worry about wheelspin and u wont use as much brake to my experience. so i guess the 18* heads would drive the best?i see alot of cars win with each of them from the best of the best to guys like me. sb2's just got a bad rep from people taking them right from a nationwide shop to there dirt car. id say a quality combo would be more important than just wich heads. if your not sure go to your local track and take a peek around at whats winning where you want to race, around here u see it all. remember no one part will make a difference its about combinations and power complimenting.

Rocky
01-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Now scuse me if I'm wrong here but, I always thought that the SB2 was basically a GM copy of a 90's Yates Ford head aimed at making Chevy horsepower comparable to the Ford and 18* Pontiac in NASCAR races back when. Couldn't ya just build a Ford? I think I jest threw up in my mouth a little, and get the same effects? If it's cheap I would do it but what are all them NASCAR teams gonna do with all them completely useless Dodge engines next year? I'd be willing to bet they'll go for next to nothing and they are brand new tech. Being poor I couldn't turn down a great deal though.

Low horsepower engine won't blow the tires away, huh? Andy I need to get you to look at my car for real man cause I don't have 900 HP and my little bitty garage built stove will crush them. (maybe I'm a lot better at motors than I am with chassis though).

andy16
01-04-2013, 07:31 AM
im really not good enough on the chassis side to be tellin anybody anything and seems like everytime i open my mouth about somethin i stick my foot in it, everytime i try to help somebody turns into a mess. im gonna be like a racing hermit this year at the track, keep my thoughts to myself self this year sept for a few questions on here.

andy16
01-04-2013, 08:09 AM
i believe they came w the splayed valve head first to compete w the ford but nascar declined that design because it was a symetrical port just like the ford and nascar wanted gm to keep its middle exhaust ports together so it looked like a chevy motor so they started over, mirrored the ports moved the valve arrangement to I E I E E I E I from E I I E E I I E to try and help the manifold w a single carb design kept the splayed valve and was a compromise from what gm wanted to what nascar would approve. later gm got what they wanted w the rox engine basicsically a symetrical splayed valve head w a 4.5 bore spacing . personally i think they took a step back from sb2 i dont see how a symetrical port design is better for a single carb but hey? they have a 4.5 bore spacing sb2 now and if i were a cup builder id be pursueing that route? but now theyl all look the same and basically are the same. alot of this technology came from comp eliminator drag racing and never to be pro stock truck racing, i would have liked to see where the sbc would be now if that class had came to be??

the dodges make good power and prob will be cheap but they are a heavy motor, the heads are heavier than sb2's and the block is way heavier its a skirted block w side mains, will be very strong but heavy but for the price who knows. i know alot of people who told me my sb2 was a waist of time and money and its still here and never let me down season after season and they arent racing because they blew up motors

King1
11-24-2013, 09:36 AM
My SB2 motor dont have to be ran hard or be kept in the higher RPM's to run. Granted mine made a lot of torque mid range (639 at 5000 and peaks out at 661 at 6100) only thing ive noticed is it dont want to stop when you lift it just wants to shove you on in the corner so a little more brake was needed. I love mine and for 13,000 fresh rather than 18,000 for a 430 9 degree that has 750 laps on it.