PDA

View Full Version : Dummy shock

huckleberry_hound
11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Is the lrf dummy shock called the traction shock or the lrb shock with the spring on it? Please explain what you need for a good traction shock. I found a set of integras for each corner but will need a good 5th coil shock and dummy. Will I need adjustible gas shocks for those as well? Thanks

abco
11-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Lrf is the traction shock, contact WAR Shocks willie has some great traction shock builds!!
931-670-4024

dualdj1
11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Is the lrf dummy shock called the traction shock or the lrb shock with the spring on it? Please explain what you need for a good traction shock. I found a set of integras for each corner but will need a good 5th coil shock and dummy. Will I need adjustible gas shocks for those as well? Thanks

It's not actually a dummy shock. "dummy shock" refers to a shock that has no dampening at all, basically a slider. A traction shock is a no rebound, high compression shock. Gas shock for traction shock allows you to change your compression rate by adding/removing gas. Gas will also make it try to hike up (extends shock from pressure), whereas oil will only resist sitting down (compression).

7uptruckracer
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Do they literally run no Rebound in that shock I know rockets baseline is a 6-2 if I recall correctly, but I know shocks have come a long way in recent years.

4bangerhotrod
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
rebound would slow hike down, if the car drops off the bar's

abco
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
7uptrucker, when u build the shock some guys use like .002 shim on the rebound side so the piston works correct! Most traction shocks on the rebound side of the dyno graph are at 0 all the way across

7uptruckracer
11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
So as close to zero as possible on the rebound while allowing the piston to flow correctly....and they just tweak the compression for traction needs, and the back shock with whatever rebound and compression there....I just see the cars hiking less and less all the time I dunno if they are doing it on the chain or with a little rebound but they still hike up just as easy as ever.

dualdj1
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
yeah it seems like a lot more people are using chain limiters to get to a certain hike point and stop.

Some do use a small amount of rebound control as well, but what's generally known as a "traction shock" is, as abco said, virtually 0 rebound resistance, or very very low. You get your desired rebound resistance from your shock with the spring.

abco
11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
I believe the amount of lr droop out is very important, it controls so much of your car from index to attitude, to how much pre-load is on the lr spring! I know on my car u can screw alot of stuff changeing the pad 1/2"!!

Matt49
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Don't forget gas pressure. While it is true that even a "zero" valve has some resistance, with the right amount of gas pressure you can make the low speed resistance completely go away or actually become somewhat negative.