PDA

View Full Version : Spring rate/compression question

twizted
11-29-2012, 06:21 AM
We are running a pure stock type monte carlo and we can not have any adjusters only spacers and springs and shock have to be in stock location.

Now here is the question I am having trouble wrapping my mind around?
If I had a 200lbs 13" spring in the left rear with 0 bite and wanted to run say 200lbs of bite would I need to make a 1" spacer? or if I had say a 14" 200lb spring would that be better?
The setup we are looking to go to will actually use a 250 or 275lb in left rear and probably a 200-225lb in right. I have read the stuff on sping rates and compression but just doesnt make sence for some reason,

We had screw jacks on old car and it wasnt a big dealo but this is kicking my but trying to figure it out cause we are having to buy all new stuff and dont want to buy a bunch of stuff we cant use. As alway thank in advance.

DaveBauerSS6
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
We are running a pure stock type monte carlo and we can not have any adjusters only spacers and springs and shock have to be in stock location.

Now here is the question I am having trouble wrapping my mind around?
If I had a 200lbs 13" spring in the left rear with 0 bite and wanted to run say 200lbs of bite would I need to make a 1" spacer? or if I had say a 14" 200lb spring would that be better?
The setup we are looking to go to will actually use a 250 or 275lb in left rear and probably a 200-225lb in right. I have read the stuff on sping rates and compression but just doesnt make sence for some reason,

We had screw jacks on old car and it wasnt a big dealo but this is kicking my but trying to figure it out cause we are having to buy all new stuff and dont want to buy a bunch of stuff we cant use. As alway thank in advance.

If you mean spring spacers, I would just build spacers. You will be able to tune with them. You would be very lucky to buy a spring and hit it perfect the first time.

twizted
11-30-2012, 08:34 AM
My intention is to limit the height of spacers.

26-62 racing
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
You would be better off to change all four corners. To change ride height at one corner 1'' inch will make major changes to the other three corners. To obtain the bite or wedge you are looking for, you will have to move weight and change all four corners. Maybe not what you wanted to hear just my idea.

Mike

DaveBauerSS6
11-30-2012, 11:03 PM
My intention is to limit the height of spacers.

You may only need 1/2 inch.

billy5
12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
1/4 makes from go to nogo..

twizted
12-01-2012, 09:07 AM
1/4 makes from go to nogo..

Dont really understand what you mean by go nogo in this instance

DaveBauerSS6
12-01-2012, 10:38 AM
He means it wont take very much spacer to do what you need. A lot of things make up the corner weight difference. Try some spacers.

billy5
12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
1 turn of a jackbolt makes a big difference....be careful not to [overdo] a bite change ..

twizted
12-01-2012, 10:52 AM
We cant use jack bolts or adjustable spacers on this car. We ran street stock class with screw jacks and I think 1 turn was 25lbs on that car but nat havinf adjustments on this thing is killing me and takes for ever on my buddies scales. Guess I am gonna have to buy me set cause this could take a while.

dirtman45
12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
If you have scales under the tires just throw a 1/2" thick piece of wood under the left rear and see what you get for bite. Better than swapping out a lot of spacers. This will give you a ballpark figure for what the bite will change with 1/2" of spacers on the left rear. The go from there.

twizted
12-02-2012, 01:47 AM
havent thought about that but that helps. I dont have scales been borrowing a buddies but I guess i'm gonna buy a new set of the accuset II from longacre unless I hear something bad about them.

billy5
12-02-2012, 03:39 AM
dont worry with what the scales say....worry about what the car and driver needs...unless you are racing in the shop while setting on the scales............scales are for getting it setup at start..then adjust to driving preference...no matter what the scales say...if it works-go fast..if it dont...work on it some more..

billy5
12-02-2012, 03:42 AM
unless yor one of the people that has to mimic eveyone else then scale it to 53ls 53 rear and 53 cross and follow me while im ahead of you..