PDA

View Full Version : Anti dive

CHRISTINE
12-05-2012, 12:16 PM
what does anti dive do as in does it just help caster gain or does it have a performance gain?
just curious because our pierce car has 9* in rf and 7 in lf but some of the newer cars only have 2-4 degrees.

Just a question .

LM14
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
It keeps the front end from "dipping" down when you stomp the brakes.

We have played with more and less anti dive and even tried pro drive on the LF to promote the front end staying down better. Didn't really help, we thnk the tires didn't produce enough grip to make it work the best and a notable car builder confirmed our experiments and thoughts.

Anywhere from 4 to 6* is common range. 9* seems like a lot in my opinion.

SPark

CHRISTINE
12-05-2012, 07:57 PM
so if i was to go to say 4 degress on my car what would it do? im not going to change it just curious

LM14
12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
On dirt you probably wouldn't feel a bit of difference. You don't generate enough grip to make a big difference. It would be different if you ran pavement or big sticky tires.

If it did anything, it would allow the front to drop a bit easier as you brake into a corner. I doubt it would be very drastic.

SPark

1Blacksheep
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
The new cars are working LR spring behind and work the Anti dive different. The old left clamp cars like the Anti Dive and will be less consistant with less !

LFMotorsports
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
From experience, I have a chassis built by a guy with "Voo Doo" on it. I ran yr one and two with the car with anti-dive and the car basically would not roll over on the right front. The car seems stiff in the front suspension. I redesigned last winter and removed all the anti-dive in the right front and the front worked much better. Understand, my car is chevelle clipped and has different anti-dive build in from the factory as compared to metric, impala, etc. front clips.

In my opinion, when you run less anti-dive, you will rely on the spring more and not on the braking forces to transfer weight. If you feel like you want more RF travel, then its worth taking anti-dive out. You also may keep in mind if the track you run is hard on brakes (stop-n-go) as compared to less brake and wide sweeping corners.

Just things to think about but its much about the driver, track, and what you want out of your car. And yes, I did use a computer program to model proper pick up points on the front suspension. And if you look at other chassis builders, I bet you will find many pick-up points are in different locations to get the results they want.

Best of luck