PDA

View Full Version : upsidedown rr brake floater

shaw33
12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I've seen a couple cars that has a brake floated mounted upside-down on the rr. And the bar goes right in the middle of the 4 bar brakets. What exactly does this do? I've seen it on a new grt and a shaw car. Any answers would be appreciated!

Dirtracer50
12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
If I'm understanding you correctly it should unload the right rear tire when on the brakes and loosen entry.

andy16
12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
it may unload it or may not do anything much at all depends on the bar angle when the brake is applied. maybe they wanted to isolate it from the torque arm and the birdcage so they floated it then did it upside down so it would have a wow factor and make you think theyv figured somethin out you havent. sometimes you can beat the competitor by making him think about your car instead of concentrating on his? i cant say what i think it does until i see it but i dont imagine it doing much. just my 2cent .

TeamGRT12x
12-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Andy, it's not for a wow factor, it's been going on for a while.

andy16
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
was just a thought, it does happen? so whats it do...

rayburn62
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Can you explain more? Were they running a left rear floater too?

shaw33
12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes a brake floated on lr and on the rr the caliper is still on the back side of the rear end with the ARM going towards the ground then the bar from there to middle of the 4 bar brakets. And Mr teamgrt12x what does it do?

andy16
12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
well from just thinkin about it in my head having never seen it my best guess is that it is done to isolate the brakes from the torque arm since both are floated and it sounds like the mounting point on the floater is still lower than mounting point on chassis so if you believe the whole the car only knows the mounting points rule it is a slightly uphill position that under cornering prob is pretty level w the chassis and not loading or unloading the tire simply stopping the axle wrap up associated w decel and braking if your calipers were solid mounted to axle tube. also could be that there wasn enough room to mount it next to top birdcage mount like on some latemodels the birdcage will hit the upper frame rail when alot of rr travel is seen so maybe they moved it under for clearance. i like the sound of it? to me it nuetralizes the braking effects of the rr. if the rr has no effect on chassis during braking then you can make your adjustments to the l/r floater more "sure" and concentrate on it since its prob more important than the rr one at this point. just a guess.

xxxmod
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
putting the right side floater mounting point for the bar
in the 3 oclock position and running the bar uphill pulls
down on the chassis under braking... I have seen some
cars doing this. They did have the left rear in the normal
position. I think the benefits of having all the braking forces
transmitted to the chassis via brake floaters rather than the
pullbar are important to corner entry..... You could run a
aggressive pullbar set up without upsetting the car on entry.

TeamGRT12x
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Firstly, it does isolate the braking forces from the pull bar/lift arm.

It will need angle, up or down, to have any effect on braking. I tend to like isolating the braking forces to the chassis and let the pull bar/lift arm be.

We were running one in 08 on and off. I would try it, you may like it. Some people hate brake floaters, which is fine, but I would still run one, just no angle on either side.

Flyin Iowan
12-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Whats the difference when the brakes are on the birdcage? is that more so like having a brake floater?

TeamGRT12x
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
When you run the brakes attached to the birdcage, when you get on the brakes the suspension on that side locks up for the most part. I have never ran a car with the brakes on the cages, but I know guys that do and have no problem. I think the whole brake floater, non floater, floated on the cage, upside down floater on the RR is all about comfort and feel. I don't think any of them are a night and day speed difference. I know several guys successful on clamped both sides, floated on the LR only, floated both sides and so on.