PDA

View Full Version : metric frame holes

hughesracing9b
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
im looking at a car, metric stub the holes on the top of the frame, behind the front tires, where you usually get ride heights, are closed off. Is this a chassis builder thing, or are these frames kits? tweaked and hiding it by taking away the marks?

MM90
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
A buddy of mine has an old Dirt Works that has the holes closed off at the top. I think some chassis builders weld up the big holes to strengthen to frame.

dirttrackrocker
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I have seen lots of builders do this. Chevelle and metric. My Chevelle clip car has the holes plugged.

hammond
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
you should always use the front lower a arm bolt to set the hieght . them frames are not the same out there and can miss with the true right hieghts of your car .And some car builders plugged then to keep the dirt out .

racer69
12-13-2012, 11:01 PM
^^^^ Dave is right. And some plug them up just for looks!

HEAVY DUTY
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
You cannot properly measure your ride heights using the frame to ground measurements.What happens if you go from a 81 inch tire to an 88 inch tire? That is about a 1 1/8 difference in frame height. Should you let your front end down that 1 1/8? No. Your front ride heights are designed to be ran at a certain a frame angle. You must maintain those angles regardless of the height of the frame from the ground.

CsR41
12-14-2012, 09:34 PM
So how are you saying to measure front ride height?

dirttrackrocker
12-15-2012, 06:50 AM
With an angle finder on you control arms. I know lots of chassis builders that do this. I had a Bullit Late Model that was this way. If I remember it was 12 degrees on the rear upper A arm tube.

HEAVY DUTY
12-15-2012, 09:36 AM
The bset way to measure ride height is to measure from a point on the frame down to the lower a arm or to the axle tube. That is after you have determined the ride heighth. If you arent sure where to start, A good rule of thumb is to level the inner front lower a arm bolt with the lip where the ball joint touches the a frame.( make both of them the same measurement off the ground) This will give you a slight uphill angle to the center of the ball joint from the inner lower a arm pivot.