PDA

View Full Version : Opnions on sheet metal brakes

gb81racing
12-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Anyone have opinions on which brake to buy if you were buying one?

I have looked at the EZ bend racers brake which is cheaper and the Boyd-Built racers brake which cost more and looks nicer. Anyone used either one? Or any other names that I could look into?

hucktyson
12-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Yes they are both junk . Search used machinery classifieds and find your self a 16 gauge or lower tennsmith, proformer, national or Chicago . Those breaks bend anything with ease and will last forever

grt74
12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a boyd built,no problems here its been great,ive bent things that i really should have had a bigger break or press,and still works great

gb81racing
12-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Looking to buy a brake 6-8 foot. Anyone have one for sale?

EAMShater
12-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Don't buy any less than 6 1/2 ft. The bottom of most doors are just over 6 ft. Mine are like 75. Plus if you make your own skirting you will need the extra inches as well

pmiracing
12-14-2012, 08:02 AM
We have several options for you to choose from.

www.bodybuilderraceequipment.com

FlatTire
12-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I've got a 6foot EZ Break I bought used. It gets a little tricky with the doors due to their length but a 6foot break will work. The thing I don't like is this break doesn't hem very well. You have
to smash most of the hems down with a mallet to close them up depending on your hem size. I don't have a big shop to store a big break, and only paid $400 for mine so I've been pretty pleased.
For what this thing is, it works fine. I definitely wouldn't call it "junk".

A friend of mine has a Boyd Built break and has been satisified with it.

If I was to buy another one, it would probably be something industrial grade like TennSmith.

hucktyson
12-14-2012, 08:53 AM
I've got a 6foot EZ Break I bought used. It gets a little tricky with the doors due to their length but a 6foot break will work. The thing I don't like is this break doesn't hem very well. You have
to smash most of the hems down with a mallet to close them up depending on your hem size. I don't have a big shop to store a big break, and only paid $400 for mine so I've been pretty pleased.
For what this thing is, it works fine. I definitely wouldn't call it "junk".

A friend of mine has a Boyd Built break and has been satisified with it.

If I was to buy another one, it would probably be something industrial grade like TennSmith.
The cheap ones will bend metal but I am an elite level fabricator and as such I refuse to work with substandard equipment. You should be able to
Find a nice used tennsmith for 2k-2500 and you will have the proper tool for the rest of your life And still be able to sell it for the same thing you paid.

50j
12-14-2012, 10:01 AM
The TennSmith brakes are worth it. Buy it once and be done IMO and buy one bigger than 6' if you can afford it. You may also want to watch for used equipment in classifieds and at auctions. There are good deals out there. If you get a Chinese brake, you'll probably be buying it twice.

Canadian
12-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Got my Boyd Build last yr and LOVE it, no problems and I build 8 cars per winter.