PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug taper

Robertms
12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Could someone tell me what degrees the tamper is on a 2.3 spark plug. Wanted to move location of plugs and want to get the right taper on redrill. Robert

Headhunter
12-14-2012, 07:52 AM
There are gauges available to measure that. But just about any machine shop should have a comparator or shadow graph that can get that number for you. If you cant do that I will try to find a old 2.3 plug this weekend and measure it when I get to work on Monday for you.

let-r-eat
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Could someone tell me what degrees the tamper is on a 2.3 spark plug. Wanted to move location of plugs and want to get the right taper on redrill. Robertwill be much easier to get rid of the taper seat and go to a gasketed seat. http://www.timesert.com/images/sparkplug/SeatRecondition/TaperClean001.jpg

84Dave
12-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Robert...... please let us know how the 're-drill' on the plug holes comes out for you. That has always been one of my BIG gripes on the 2.0/2.3/2.5 Ford engine heads! The doggone spark plug should be pointed at the exhaust valve! The Ford engineers must have been on a lunch break when the secretary in the front office dictated plug location on those engines! -84Dave-

Robertms
12-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. Working on aftermarker cast iron head. In order to cut the head enough to get the cc's like I want them I will have to move the plugs. I have a head that has a lot of work already done to it so I will have to get a new core and try. These heads must have been made for a turbo. Rules won't let me run dome pistons so the only way to get compression up is to cut cut cut. Dave I want to move at least to center of exhaust and intake valve if I can. Thanks again guys. Robert

let-r-eat
12-18-2012, 03:28 AM
I took one and plugged and moved them. Just mock the taper off the spark plug if you're turning a slug to plug the hole.