PDA

View Full Version : mopar question

Shotgun63
12-15-2012, 04:35 AM
have purchased a duster im from the mini stock world not real sure on gearing with v8 class....track is a true 3/8 mile semi banked oval hoping someone out there could give me an idea of what to run for a final drive....planning on running a 360 motor only mods would be a 450 lift cam (headers of course) any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
shotgun

Krooser
12-15-2012, 06:10 AM
What RPM's do you want to turn? How heavy is the car? What cam specs? What diameter tires?

Shotgun63
12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
What RPM's do you want to turn? How heavy is the car? What cam specs? What diameter tires?

ideally we want to be around 3250....not sure on cam right at the moment its my buddies car i will just be driving...and rpm wise im guessing 6-6500 from the little i know about this class

tires will be dot street radials-255/60/15

dirty white boy
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
you should be able to get lighter than 3200 lbs with a duster,...stick with older la motor,it has better valve train than the later magnums,..mopars lil diffent but can be a bad mutha!! i got 2 dusters im trying to decide what im gonna do with

ka_jd7and1
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
you should be able to get lighter than 3200 lbs with a duster,...stick with older la motor,it has better valve train than the later magnums,..mopars lil diffent but can be a bad mutha!! i got 2 dusters im trying to decide what im gonna do with

How do you figure that the LA valvetrain is better?

dirty white boy
12-15-2012, 11:57 PM
How do you figure that the LA valvetrain is better?

shaft mounted rockers from the factory!! had a 340 duster 4speed use to turn it 75 to 7800 rpm daily for years an years...never a issue! hell never even pulled valve covers!!

Shotgun63
12-16-2012, 12:06 AM
is it better to run a 4 speed or the 727 trans?

dirty white boy
12-16-2012, 12:21 AM
is it better to run a 4 speed or the 727 trans?

mopar 4 speeds worth to much to use,.a mopar 3 speed is avlible an should be good an of coarse you can use adaptable bell housing an use a Saginaw trans,gonna need a blow proof houseing any way,....id stay away from a automatic,..to much reciprocating weight an to hard to keep cool nuff to live!

Shotgun63
12-16-2012, 01:07 AM
mopar 4 speeds worth to much to use,.a mopar 3 speed is avlible an should be good an of coarse you can use adaptable bell housing an use a Saginaw trans,gonna need a blow proof houseing any way,....id stay away from a automatic,..to much reciprocating weight an to hard to keep cool nuff to live!

alright thanks bro....will relay info to him tommrow! I was kinda weary on the whole auto thing myself

DaveBauerSS6
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
alright thanks bro....will relay info to him tommrow! I was kinda weary on the whole auto thing myself
For a tight budget, the 904 auto trans can be built by any shop and hold up well. Light weight compared to a manual assy.

dirty white boy
12-16-2012, 02:59 PM
id expect that aftermarket parts to make a mopar auto be hard to find an a bit pricey but sure it could be done, an a508 auto with lock up might be a good choice as well,....but will still be turning a heavy torque converter,...lake wood has a blow proof bell housing thatll mate any straight geared trans to a small block mopar block,...an a straight gear be more dependable an cost effective in the long run,..id run a saginaw if it was me,...if you find a a-body mopar with a 8 3/4 rear end your in high cotton as most cam with 7 1/4 peg leg rearend,..so id suggest a 9 inch,..or a 8.8 ford from 95 up explorer with factory disc brakes,..biggest questions you should have would be how to set up the front end with its torque rods instead of coil springs...an finding a a-body with power steering could be lotta fun too!

Krooser
12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
A904 is a tuff trans... if you are required to run an auto that's the one to run.

The torsion bar front is no big deal... aftermarket bars are available. The rear leaf springs will give you lots of forward bite and will allow you to beat the g bodies off the corners pretty easily.

The Magnum engines are the way to go if you can run a roller cam... everywhere guys build good Mopar's they tend to dominate...