PDA

View Full Version : What make more hp

twisterf5
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
3.562 CRANK in a 350 block / or a 3.30 CRANK in a 400 block have to stay under 365 so witch one make more power. have a set of 037 wold product / set 49cc 220 darts and a set of alum spec heads trying to find out what set up would be better for a on and off the gas track.

dirty white boy
12-17-2012, 02:36 PM
i always herd the 3.30 in a 400 was a screamer rpm motor,..idk but been wanting to build one an see!

Egoracing
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
There is a reason that Nascar uses 4.125+ inch bore in every motor.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
If you have a good head, you need a big bore to allow it to flow.

zeroracing
12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I had one of the short stroke big bore ones, great motor! If I had a cubic inch limiting it was legal I would build one in a heartbeat.

LM14
12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
The short stroke will need higher RPM's. The long stroke can run lower RPM's. The big bore unshrouds the valves. If you can keep it wound up and it will live, the big bore/short stroke will probably make more power but in a narrower band. Run a long rod and get a wider torque curve. I think you will find NASCRAP does the big bore/short stroke because they run a very narrow RPM band and don't really need that much torque to get off the corners since they are fighting traction at that point in the track.

That's my experience.
SPark

perfconn
12-17-2012, 10:07 PM
The big bore bore short stroke will make more power

dualdj1
12-18-2012, 05:01 PM
big bore short stroke is more HP, longer stroke is more torque but as they said lower rpm. depends on your application on which you want.

sj valley dave
12-19-2012, 04:38 PM
NASCAR only really runs a narrow rpm range on a few tracks..Look at Martinsville, Richmond, the Road Courses...4500-9300 rpm range...Pretty broad...IMO

racer69
12-19-2012, 06:17 PM
IMO it depends on the heads mostly. And exactly what your doing with the motor. I am a huge fan of short stroke big bore! But if the heads are restrictive I tend to roll the other way for torque.

Built an engine once for an Indiana Super stock. Basically the rules was steel heads and open from there. The guy we built it for had an idea I didnt like but we tried it anyway. He wanted a 4.020 bore and a 3.45" stroke with alum rods. Wanted to cut a crank down very light and make it all survive!

We succeeded! That thing sounded unreal wicked! Wow! Others in the class were running 421s 434s and one was rumored to have even bigger sbc. The sound turned heads in the pits. But on the track they would blow him away coming off! could chase them back to an extent but wasn't gonna do any good.

twisterf5
12-19-2012, 06:34 PM
most of the tracks around the two we would race at have done away with the big bore and most have went to stock stoke . have to stay with 23 heads and it is a 3/8 track so might go with the 350 block to keep more tracks open to us.

dirty white boy
12-19-2012, 07:32 PM
most of the tracks around the two we would race at have done away with the big bore and most have went to stock stoke . have to stay with 23 heads and it is a 3/8 track so might go with the 350 block to keep more tracks open to us.

got me wondering which tracks you planning on running f5???

if its a short stop an go track that long rod motor be ya friend!!

twisterf5
12-20-2012, 05:53 AM
got me wondering which tracks you planning on running f5???

if its a short stop an go track that long rod motor be ya friend!!

carolina and i-77 looks like they are going to use the same rules. one on fri and other on sat and can stay with same gear. but don.t wont to build something that is not legal at surrounding track if we decide to travel.

dirty white boy
12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
carolina and i-77 looks like they are going to use the same rules. one on fri and other on sat and can stay with same gear. but don.t wont to build something that is not legal at surrounding track if we decide to travel.

i ant been to ether of them but planning to this season,..always herd i-77 was similar to 311 but no 2 tracks the same!! hope you do good with it tho'!!

perfconn
12-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Just to clear up a few misconceptions about big bore short stroke engines.One is that they have to be turned a lot more rpm.This is flat out not true.Where the engine makes hp is a function of camshaft design and intake runner size among other things.None of which bore and stroke enter into.
Yes it is true that if you build a short stroke big bore engine and put too big a camshaft in it you will have to wring its ears off to make it run, but that is true of all engine.Same thing applies to too big of an intake runner,too big of an intake manifold or too big of a carburetor.
I have built several 3.270-3.280 stroke with 4.180-4.195 bores and never turned any of them over 8100.