PDA

View Full Version : Gas

LateModel B23
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Anybody run a modified on gas and not alcohol? Any cooling issues?

LM14
12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
We always run gas. Same for our late models. Never a heating problem. We use the best water pumps, proper engine tuning, 19" fans and the correct pulleys for the need. Have never run anything more than a 26 or 27.5" wide radiator, single pass, and haven't ever had a problem for the last 15+ years.

SPark

charcoal01
12-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Same.run in the desert, proper shrouding, proper ducting no thermostat,5/8 spacer, double pass radiator. 210 even on the hottest nights.

LateModel B23
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks, I have always ran gas in my late models with no problems and it can still be close to 100* come feature time @ Devils Bowl. I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything extremely out of the ordinary. I planned on a double pass radiator, good shroud and 4 blade fan.

calif54
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I agree with all the previous posts. We switched to gas this year and didn't have any cooling issues, but you need to be aware that switching from alcohol to gas is not as simple as changing fuel and adding a shroud. Most alcohol engines won't run very competitively if you just switch to gas. The cylinder heads and cam will make the car less responsive. You are going to lose torque by switching anyway, but just warning you to look into these other items or you will be very disappointed. Once you get the engine comb figured out, i'm sure you will love running gas~ especially the consistent handling gas provides over alcohol. Others on this site are way more knowledgable than I and can add lots more details.

Egoracing
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Go to Stewart water pumps web site. Simple and can not go wrong. Never had a single issue using his rules.