PDA

View Full Version : bert shifter

29 avenger
12-17-2012, 10:04 PM
can you use a standard 3 speed shifter thanks Jeff

dirttrackrocker
12-18-2012, 07:58 AM
You will more than likely have to fabricate the linkage, but, I don't see why not. The question is why would you want to???

29 avenger
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
only because i have the standard shifter like almost every other racecar has just didnt know if i needed bert brand shifter or if these would work but i want to do it right thanks Jeff

Egoracing
12-18-2012, 07:34 PM
You may not get enough movement? Not sure but the specific shifters have longer lowers to allow for custom fitting. You only need 2 rods so that would not be a problem...... Would be interesting to try to say the least.

mod 44
12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
you can use the regular 3 speed shifter. U will need to put the rod about 1.5 blow the deck for the high low and the reverse about 2 to 2.5 blow deck. It is what i have found to work the best. When i had my rods in the lower holes it was to hard to get in gear. So I talk to a guy and ask him about it and he said to move them up so i did and it was a lot eazyer to shift .

js11
12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
If you are talking about the Bert shifter that bolts to the tail housing, and if the serial numbers has the Z on it (or so I was told), then you absolutely do not need the Bert shifter. In fact, you're probably better off. The Bert shifter was for the older versions prior to the dog tooth gears for high (to allow the shifter to flex a bit and not pull out of high gear, or so I'm told).

Just run the shifter rods directly to the heims on the tranny from the two-lever shifter (or two of the levers on your three speed shifter) in the tub area. Otherwise the Bert shifter would be too far forward, and you'd have to run the rods to that bolt on shifter from the one in the tub, which just makes for too many opportunities to bind, Jam, etc. The more simple, the better, I say.

As for the 3 speed shifter idea, you can get the two lever modified shifter for something between $30 and $60. You only need two levers anyway.

Good luck.

dirttrackrocker
12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Oh... I thought you meant a standard 3 speed tyhat you would have in a passenger car. Yes, a normal 2 lever shifter will work fine.

29 avenger
12-19-2012, 05:03 PM
thanks for the info guys