PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Lifter Recommendations???

Krooser
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm building a small block Olds for a dirt street stock and need some input about what hydraulic valve lifter to use.

My cam grinder is out of the Johnson's he usually supplies. I can wait for him to get another shipment or can look for an alternative. I'd like to know what you have used and will work best at rpm's up to about 6500...

Thanks.

istock11m
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Do you have adjustable valve train or the stock rockers and stands? Rhoads, Crower, and Comp Cams make good anti pump ups.

Krooser
12-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Stock rockers...

istock11m
12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
the Rhoads lifters i had in a Chevy set kind of like mechanicals. Don't know about the Olds.

Krooser
12-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Pretty much the same lifter... .842 diameter. You can use Chevy lifters in the Olds but you need different pushrods since the height of the plunger is different. I need custom pushrods anyway so that would not be a factor.

dirtman45
12-23-2012, 01:00 AM
For a small block chevy the Isky 202-HY is as good as it gets. Other than that you want one with a c clip in the top and not a wire spring to hold down the plunger. Comp cams has good ones also. I believe now that every lifter made come from the same manufacturer. Then the individual companies like Isky and Comp Cams do their own little tweaks to them.

Krooser
12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
For a small block chevy the Isky 202-HY is as good as it gets. Other than that you want one with a c clip in the top and not a wire spring to hold down the plunger. Comp cams has good ones also. I believe now that every lifter made come from the same manufacturer. Then the individual companies like Isky and Comp Cams do their own little tweaks to them.

That's good to know... Isky has the right springs for my cam, too... the Olds applications are a little hard to find and they have 'em.I may have to pull the trigger and order what I need from them.

As far as lifter manufacturers, the Johnson brand is back and I believe Sealed Power makes flat tappet lifters, too. One cam guy told me Comp buy lifters from the outfit who makes Johnson's.

The old lifters in my olds engine looked to be plain jane OEM replacements with a wire lock ring but they have six small holes drilled in the lifter seat... no idea why.