PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Aluminum Engine

rocketmanstan09
12-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Just wondered what you all do when winterizing your aluminum engines. Our shop isn't heated. Just wondered if you all put antifreeze in them and what kind that won't hurt the aluminum. Or is it best to find a heated place to store the engine? Thanks

HEAVY DUTY
12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Pull the block plugs, and drain all the water. You shouldnt need to put anything in it. Also run it with gas and oil mixture until it smokes to lubricate the cylinder walls, before you drain it.

catgo22
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
I undo the radiator hoses and use an electric leaf blower in the top hose to blow the water out of the block. Takes about 2-3 minutes to get to where nothing is coming out. Then blow the radiator out through the radiator cap. Never have had a problem. www.riekertracing.blogspot.com

SLM98
12-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Take all the rockers off the engine to take pressure off the springs. This will also seat the valves to keep the valve seats from rusting. I go and squirt oil in the cylinders and rotate over once a month to help keep cylinders from rusting.

MQueen
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
This has never let me down 20+ yrs. Fire up the engine, bring it up to 2k rpm and pour 1/2 a quart of ATF through the carb in about 5 seconds. Let off the throttle and she will quit, this lubes the entire top end. Pull the carb, drain the fuel and pour the remaining atf in each bowl through the vent tube, pump it till you get oil out the squirters and bolt it back on. Back off the rockers to seal the cylinders. Drian the block and radiator and thats it. Next year adjust the valves pour in your water and she will fire right up. Dont even have to drain the oil out of carb this will mix with the gas and give you a nice lubed up restart. If you run Alcohol trade out the ATF for Klotz 2 cycle oil.

let-r-eat
12-31-2012, 11:43 PM
MQueen,Does the M stand for Mark?

MQueen
01-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Yep, that would be me.

MQueen
01-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Could this possibly be one of the Stanakers I met in Elkins many years ago?

DANNY
01-01-2013, 07:17 AM
This has never let me down 20+ yrs. Fire up the engine, bring it up to 2k rpm and pour 1/2 a quart of ATF through the carb in about 5 seconds. Let off the throttle and she will quit, this lubes the entire top end. Pull the carb, drain the fuel and pour the remaining atf in each bowl through the vent tube, pump it till you get oil out the squirters and bolt it back on. Back off the rockers to seal the cylinders. Drian the block and radiator and thats it. Next year adjust the valves pour in your water and she will fire right up. Dont even have to drain the oil out of carb this will mix with the gas and give you a nice lubed up restart. If you run Alcohol trade out the ATF for Klotz 2 cycle oil.

I do something close but with Marvel Mystery Oil. Put it in carb and till it squirts then pour some in down there too pull the plugs crank it over little bit till it starts shooting out the plug holes put plugs back in finger tite. Comes time to fire up I pump the carb fairly dry then pull the plugs again turn her over till it again starts shooting oil out the holes this then should have brought oil and fuel press up with no real strain on stuff as its turning over freely. Pop the plugs back in and proceed to fire it up... (Of course drain/refill water as well) ;)