PDA

View Full Version : When do you use a short straight bar?

cgs
12-25-2012, 07:44 PM
When would you use a short panhard mounted under or on the driver side of the pinion? Tride to find some posts about it but my Internet is too slow:) thanks

racin6mod
12-26-2012, 07:01 PM
the short one on the drivers side of the pinion I would say only after all else has failed. the longer one under the pinion worked great for me on a short tight turned track. the bar was 18'' long and had 4 1/2 inches of rack in it.

cgs
12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Were you using it on a hooked up track? Or when it dries out?

JustAddDirt
12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Typically a smooth, slick track.

racin6mod
12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Were you using it on a hooked up track? Or when it dries out?

I ran it all the time once it was set never felt the need to change it. I put the quick change back in so I'm going to start with a j-bar and move from ther. the lower pinion may be to low but we'll see.

johnny v
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
When would you use a short panhard mounted under or on the driver side of the pinion? Tride to find some posts about it but my Internet is too slow:) thanks

I'm a big fan of the Mark Bush articles in dirt mod.... I went back and looked at one that talks about the Left / Left short setup you talked about...... He says try it when you want to loosen entry and tighten exit......
If it gets a little too loose on entry, the try the conventional ways to tighten the car up on entry a little....stiffer Lf spring, lower Right bottom link or soften compression of the RR shock....

IMHO
I have worked with 2 "new to 4 link" drivers ... both had problems rolling the cars into the corners correctly and getting them to rotate.... Most 4 link USMTS type mods are too tight for a new 4 link driver to drive correctly and rotate... most drivers at the local level don't have the skill and the "knack" of trail braking or the ability to make a car rotate with the way they enter/ drive the corners.....
So maybe the Left / Left shorty panhard bar might help the learning curve.... Once a driver "gets it"... then you go back to the J bar......
Just a theory... but going to try it out....

dirty white boy
01-05-2013, 11:09 PM
interesting thoughts,..like to hear how it gose when you try it,..i got a older late model chassis that was built to run straight left/left short bar,..but with a rubber block between frame an bar,...lest thats what was explained when i searched back threw the previous owners,...said it was did away with an used a normal j-bar,...tryed getting up with barry wright few times on phone to confirm this but yet to get any info,..dont keep records that old an barry travels alot...lol