PDA

View Full Version : Build new car questions

RJ16
12-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I’m looking for some insight, I just purchased a new to me 2010 Shaw bare chassis. I was told the chassis has never been raced; the gentleman I bought it from ran a late model, but never had the funds to put the car together. I was looking for some advice on the “do’s and don’ts “or what area’s to splurge and buy the top of the line parts as I assembled the car. I have never built a dirt car and only have one year of modified racing experience. I plan to use the motor and transmission from my old car, which is a very old Dirt Works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ

Confused?
12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Contact Kevin Shaw. He will be able to help you more than anyone. He comes on here some or you can call Larry Shaw Racing.

Everybody has thier opinions on what to buy for what.

jsf74
12-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Yep just call shaw and get the right parts the first time. It really depends what class your gonna run and shaw would be able to answer all your questions. I don't even have a shaw and he's helped me. Very nice cars for sure.

johnny v
12-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I’m looking for some insight, I just purchased a new to me 2010 Shaw bare chassis. I was told the chassis has never been raced; the gentleman I bought it from ran a late model, but never had the funds to put the car together. I was looking for some advice on the “do’s and don’ts “or what area’s to splurge and buy the top of the line parts as I assembled the car. I have never built a dirt car and only have one year of modified racing experience. I plan to use the motor and transmission from my old car, which is a very old Dirt Works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ

We ran a 09 shaw and I agree with the others... call shaw and get a setup book.... no real trick parts.... straightforward parts in the 09 setup book.......

I would " splurge " as you called it in one or two areas..... Low friction Ball joints, tubular lower a frames and spend the money on a Sweet steering box.....

IMHO , most people try to save a little money on the front end and spend like heck on the 4 link stuff...... having a car stick the front end and turn easy is just as important ( maybe more)....

TeamGRT12x
12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't waste the money on the tubular lowers or the sweet box, but I agree on the low friction stuff.

RJ16
12-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will give Larry Shaw Race Cars a call and see what kind of advice they are willing to share.

Thanks, RJ

LM14
12-27-2012, 10:54 PM
My choice would be good birdcages, low friction/rebuildable ball joints, quality slider and pull bar and a good set of shocks. Then buy new tires before racing it.

Cheap gauges, shifter, slightly heavier wheels, using a speeder and a common Z-28 style box won't hurt you much. That stuff you can update as funds allow.

Building a car with cheap birdcages/ball joints/sliders and shocks will kill the whole deal. Build the best car in the world and run junk tires is worse.

Also, buy the best safety equipment you can find. Containment seats have really come down, good belts and a Hans device. If you can't afford the best safety quipment, you shouldn't race.

JMO,
SPark