PDA

View Full Version : j bar

95rayburn
12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Im running a rayburn swing arm all the rayburn's ive looked at have the jbar/panhard bar mounted to the right side frame where mines mounted from the left side frame to right side of pinion. Would that have a different effect compared to the typical right side frame mount and if I raised and lowered my jbar on the frame side what affect would it have on the car besides moving the rear end left or right thanks for any advise

stevo
12-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Raise bar on frame to tighten and give side bite this makes car roll over on rr amd moves rr in.lower in mud as it takes away side bite amd moves rr out to loosen car.

ALF401
12-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Also try this on the scales before you do it at the track, bite and weight settings on each wheel will change if you raise and lower the J-Bar and you don't adjust the length of the J-Bar as well!!

F22 RAPTOR
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Im running a rayburn swing arm all the rayburn's ive looked at have the jbar/panhard bar mounted to the right side frame where mines mounted from the left side frame to right side of pinion. Would that have a different effect compared to the typical right side frame mount and if I raised and lowered my jbar on the frame side what affect would it have on the car besides moving the rear end left or right thanks for any advise

Moving just the frame end or lowering just the pinion end increases the rake in the j-bar, which increases RR bite and the speed of the reaction to the RR. Raising the J-bar at both ends equally will loosen the car and conversely lowering both ends equally will tighten the car. Be careful, you can get to radical with excessive rake in the j-bar and the car will get erratic. On the slicker tracks it pays to try and drive straighter and lower both trailing arms down to get the rear of the car to steer itself during body roll. I watched Jonathan Davenport a few years back blister a full field of 4 link cars with his Rayburn on a very slick/flat track with the setup your running. Good luck in 2013.

old17ford
01-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Has any body ever tried the long purple bar from the left frame to the wart hog on the right axle tube ?

F22 RAPTOR
01-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Has any body ever tried the long purple bar from the left frame to the wart hog on the right axle tube ?

I had a friend who was working with CJ and Frank McClendon(Custom Chassis) modifying an existing Rayburn to be Reverse Canti-lever and they did something along those lines with a 25" J-bar. But I've never tried reversing the purple bar to the LS frame, but I'd assume it'd be about the same as a long j-bar.

dualdj1
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM

it could be done, but would seem to me that you'd lose the advantages of the j-bar, mainly leverage. your dynamic wedge wouldn't change as much either, which could be good/bad depending on what you're trying to accomplish.